• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok peeps opinions/advice and vibes needed please.u/d 22/9

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Bugsy has an abcess on his eye.
He is 8 and a half years old,possibly older.

Ive got him booked in for it to be removed tomorrow ,had to see a locum vet so I've asked if my trusted vet could do the op....consequently the locum has said she will need to discuss it with Nigel tomorrow and see if he is happy to do the op.

Is there too much risk for an 8 yr old bunny ? Would you put him through it or would you be more inclined to pts?

I'm so unsure as to what the right decision is I'd really appreciate some advice.

Last edited:
Do you mean removal of the eye ?
Has he had a full blood profile run to assess his major organ function?
Has he had a skull radiograph to see it the core of the infection is actually in the bone or the result of tooth root elongation?

Do you mean removal of the eye ?
Has he had a full blood profile run to assess his major organ function?
Has he had a skull radiograph to see it the core of the infection is actually in the bone or the result of tooth root elongation?

Hi Jane,no not removal of the eye,the abcess is on/above his eyelid.

He hasn't had any tests whatsoever ,she mentioned possibly doing xrays if they thought the bone or teeth maybe a problem when they had examined him under ga.

She did mention removing his eye if the orbit was involved but crikey would you do that???

Until I mentioned his age she hadn't realised how old he was so she might not have suggested that if she'd realised.

.....but...and somebody knowledgeable can correct me here I'm sure...isn't an abcess an infection that can be treated ? I didn't think 'abcess removal' was possible, I thought other lumps and bumps were removed ?

.....but...and somebody knowledgeable can correct me here I'm sure...isn't an abcess an infection that can be treated ? I didn't think 'abcess removal' was possible, I thought other lumps and bumps were removed ?

they can hopefully remove the whole capsule of infection,thats what I meant.

I would probably ask the vet to x-ray and do bloods before the op, if the results were fine I would go ahead with it if he is a happy, healthy bunny, apart from this. I have put dogs and cats in for ops in their old age if I felt they would come through it. Misty, the cat, was the oldest to go through an op, she got a dental at 18, and was fine, she's now 20.:)

Jess had her eye removed due to an abscess when she was 4, I don't know the full details as we didn't have her at the time, only problem has been the fact she has had 3 abscesses since, and is still fighting the 3rd one, but she seems to be getting stronger and stronger everyday, she is now 6. If another abscess occurs I don't know what I will do, I guess I'll wait until the time comes and what the other factors are. What I would say is the biggest risk, is the recurrance of an abscess, but I'm guessing they don't always come back, I don't know.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

and if it was tooth root related is there any treatment?

Only extraction of the effected teeth which if it were the molars would be a major op'. I would not put an 8 year old Rabbit through it. Molar extraction involving teeth that have not actually become lose themselves sometimes involves breaking the jawbone. And if there is already osteomyelitis in the jaw the bone may just shatter anyway :cry:

If it were tooth roots I'd opt for paliative care ie analgesia and longterm abx whilst he still has 'quality of life'.

Only extraction of the effected teeth which if it were the molars would be a major op'. I would not put an 8 year old Rabbit through it. Molar extraction involving teeth that have not actually become lose themselves sometimes involves breaking the jawbone. And if there is already osteomyelitis in the jaw the bone may just shatter anyway :cry:

If it were tooth roots I'd opt for paliative care ie analgesia and longterm abx whilst he still has 'quality of life'.

Oh goodness!

So drain the abcess and try to keep the infection at bay?

I have to say I'd only want to give surgical draining/removal of the abcess 1 go ,poor Bella had 4 ops I think and when the abcess returned again I had to admit defeat :(

I have a bun with a jaw abscess. He came to me with the abscess so I don't know how long it's been there...presumably quite a while (months rather than weeks). He also has very few molar teeth (but remarkably good incisors! :shock: )

An x-ray showed that the infection had eaten into the bone, so complete removal was impossible, and my vet isn't keen on partial removal or scraping the bone because she feels that the quality of life following surgery of this type isn't usually very good.

He copes surprisingly well. He's always happy and buzzy even though he can only eat soaked pellets, slices of peeled apple and brown bread (the latter as a treat)

My bun is only around 4 years old (I think) so not as old as your bun, but I just wanted you to know that there are others in same position :)

I have a bun with a jaw abscess. He came to me with the abscess so I don't know how long it's been there...presumably quite a while (months rather than weeks). He also has very few molar teeth (but remarkably good incisors! :shock: )

An x-ray showed that the infection had eaten into the bone, so complete removal was impossible, and my vet isn't keen on partial removal or scraping the bone because she feels that the quality of life following surgery of this type isn't usually very good.

He copes surprisingly well. He's always happy and buzzy even though he can only eat soaked pellets, slices of peeled apple and brown bread (the latter as a treat)

My bun is only around 4 years old (I think) so not as old as your bun, but I just wanted you to know that there are others in same position :)

Thank you.

Bugs hasn't had any problems eating,he can pack it away and was eating dandes and chewing on an apple twig today .....I don't know what to make of it and I suppose tomorrow will tell,I'll feel happier when I've spoken to the vet I know and trust really.

Do you drain your buns abcess or just leave it to do its own thing?:?

Poor Bugsy - what a nightmare for you :( I honestly don't have any advice, but I would go for the xray / tests first before opting for surgery just to be sure of what you're potentially dealing with.

Thinking of you & Bugsy - keep us posted on your little fella xx

Well I've just dropped him off,my usual vet is too busy to do the op so he's down for whoever is available( my only specification being 'not the boss' because I don't trust him at all!!).

Please think of him today,I'm so worried.

Back