• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby rabbits poorly please help!! dont know what to do

Kate82

Young Bun
I have 6 baby bunnies all with the same problem. They were two weeks on fri just gone. I found that they all had pustules all over their bodies, which ooze thin yellow pus. I took them to the vets and they do not know what it is. All 6 have got them, 1 is covered all over and is a scabby mess. They have no other symptoms. Their mum is fine. The vet took swabs and there are no parasites...they've been put on baytril. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Does the mother have any history of Respiratory Tract infections or abscesses in the past ?

Did the Vet send a swab off to a Vet Lab to obtain culture and sensitivities?

What are you feeding the Doe ?

Is the nest clean ?

How did you end up with 6 babies? Do you know who owned the Mum? Can you find out if she has had any previous medical problems?

no, mum doesnt have any history of either. I thought it might be something in the straw/shavings. The one who is covered, they all appear to be scabs with no yellow pus now. I've just put paper down with a towel and they havent got anymore. I didnt change the bedding for 10 days as i didnt want to touch them - mum is quite protective. The vet popped a couple for swabs,once they've been popped they heal and go.

The rabbits and mum are mine - accidental pregnacy

Last edited:
Back