• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP Baby bun with Myxi

lisabunnie

Alpha Buck
I have a friend who bought a baby bun from a breeder last week.

it was booked in for its myxi jab today.

This morning she discovered the bun has early stage myxi (as in it was ok last night)

Bun was taken to vets................. They gave it a myxi jab and said if not better by thurs then PTS

It has had NO pain relief or any other meds??? The vet said "antibiotics are pointless"

Does this sound right to you, cos i thought that it was pointless giving the jab when bun already has myxi and that it should be on some knid of antibiotic?? I all my time in rescue i have net heard this??

Thoughts please

Last edited:
I always thought that myxi was terminal but i found out the other day that it is treatable. I don't much about it but it was Tamsin that told me it is treatable. I'm sure there will be other people on here who can advise you better than me but I'd personally find a vet that knows what he/she is talking about.

I always thought that myxi was terminal but i found out the other day that it is treatable. I don't much about it but it was Tamsin that told me it is treatable. I'm sure there will be other people on here who can advise you better than me but I'd personally find a vet that knows what he/she is talking about.

It's a lot better chances if bun is vaccinated

I lost a vaccs bun to myxi

I would get your friend to contact breeder - think it's a 14 day quarantine period:? so they may have a problem

I would also see a more rabbit savvy vet - bun needs pain relief & anti-biotics & the myxi vaccs won't do anything until 14 days is up - and if bun's immune system is compromised it won't do anything at all:roll:

It's a lot better chances if bun is vaccinated

I lost a vaccs bun to myxi

I would get your friend to contact breeder - think it's a 14 day quarantine period:? so they may have a problem

I would also see a more rabbit savvy vet - bun needs pain relief & anti-biotics & the myxi vaccs won't do anything until 14 days is up - and if bun's immune system is compromised it won't do anything at all:roll:

Bun NOT Vacc by "breeder"

I had 15 buns survive myxi last year all vaccinated.................

I just dont understand the logic in vacc the bun instead of treating

So vet vacc today which as i suspected is pointless. The immune system is Very compromised. I think it would have been better to PTS if the vet isnt going to treat with antibiotics.

She is the rabbit savvy vet for the RSPCA :roll:

Last edited:
If the Rabbit already has symptoms then vaccination is pointless.
Abx and anti-inflammatories should be given.

My personal opinion is that I would not attempt treatment for an UNVACCINATED Rabbit

Poor Bun :cry:

If the Rabbit already has symptoms then vaccination is pointless.
Abx and anti-inflammatories should be given.

My personal opinion is that I would not attempt treatment for an UNVACCINATED Rabbit

Poor Bun :cry:

Thanks Jane

That is more or less what i was expecting, i have the same view.

They have said they wont see bun again till thurs and only then if necessary :evil:

i have told her to go back to the vet with the bun...............and demand to see someone who knows what they are doing.

Poor poor bun

Oh how sad :cry: poor bunny :cry: We lost all our buns but one to Myxi when I was a child and it was awful, an unvaccinated bun stands next to no chance and I agree that pts would spare bunny a lot of pain and distress. :(
Rather shocked with the vet in this case! :(

The vet shouldn't have vaccinated a rabbit with symptoms of illness. Rabbits have to be healthy to be given vaccs. Vaccs work by stimulating the immune system to create antibodies which then can then use later if they get exposed to the illness. If they are ill their immune systems are too busy to create antibodies.

Antibodies take time to produce, hence you vacc so the bun is prepared for the future exposure. Vaccinating when a bun already has it is pretty much like putting your seatbelt on after you've had the accident - pointless.

The rabbit should also have been given antibiotics, not because they treat myxi which is viral but because they help prevent secondary respiratory infections which is common in a rabbit with myxi.

Chances of recovery in an unvaccinated rabbit are pretty low (< 30%) and the recovery period is 6 weeks+. If a vaccinated rabbit gets full blown myxi it seems to up their chances to about 50-60%. Note.. these are very very rough figures from anecdotal reports not scientific investigation.

The rabbit will have caught myxi whilst at the breeders and the breeder should be informed, though they may have cases of their own already. If your friend has any other rabbits they should be vaccinated immediately and any other pets treated with flea stuff as appropriate to minimise risk of spread.

Back