• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcess question

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
How quickly can an abcess come up??

Bugsy has what seems to be a big abcess over his eye and I'm sure it wasn't there at 7.30 this morning when I cleaned his eyes up :?

We're going to the vets at 6.30

Very quickly indeed. When the body detects an intruder it very quickly starts producing puss around the area to stop it spreading through the body. Maybe he just got a piece of dirt or something lodged above his eye?

Very quickly indeed. When the body detects an intruder it very quickly starts producing puss around the area to stop it spreading through the body. Maybe he just got a piece of dirt or something lodged above his eye?

Hes had gunky eyes/blocked tear ducts for as long as I can remember so I'm really hoping its not related to that ....hes my oldest bunny (8yrs +) so he isn't a good candidate for a general anaesthetic either :(

Sounds serious. 2 of my rabbits have had abscesses this year so I have an idea what your going through. My vet wouldn't give Penny GA and clean out hers as he thought it was too risky but he did clean out most of the infection and the antibiotics did the rest. It took about 6 weeks to clear up and I had to flush it twice a day. Good luck at the vets and I hope he comes through ok.

Sounds serious. 2 of my rabbits have had abscesses this year so I have an idea what your going through. My vet wouldn't give Penny GA and clean out hers as he thought it was too risky but he did clean out most of the infection and the antibiotics did the rest. It took about 6 weeks to clear up and I had to flush it twice a day. Good luck at the vets and I hope he comes through ok.

Thank you.

I've had 2 bunnies that have had abcesses ,one went through 4 seperate ops to try and cure them and the other was lanced whilst the bunny was conscious and had antibs and flushing ....the one who had to have ops sadly had to be pts because we couldnt win the battle and hers were related to blocked tear ducts ...I'm not sure I can put Bugs through what she went through.

Thank you.

I've had 2 bunnies that have had abcesses ,one went through 4 seperate ops to try and cure them and the other was lanced whilst the bunny was conscious and had antibs and flushing ....the one who had to have ops sadly had to be pts because we couldnt win the battle and hers were related to blocked tear ducts ...I'm not sure I can put Bugs through what she went through.

That's awfull, Buttons had surgery but his was a solid ball in his dewlap that wasn't attached to anything and it hadn't tried to come to the surface so the vet managed to cut it straught out without leaving any behind. All I can say is that I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him.

One of my bunies, Daisy, had a abcess under her chin, came up really quick took to the vets same day where it popped (not nice nearly passed out in vets!:oops:). It cleared up really quick within 10 days it was pretty much gone. Good luck :)

Never had a bunny with an abscess, but one of my guinea pigs had one under his chin. He was fine when i put him to bed, and the next morning it was suddenly there! They come up so quickly :shock:. After it's been drained i'd keep an eye on it. My vet said something like 50% of abscesses will come back up again after being lanced. Cocoa's did come up 4 days after, so he had to have his removed under an anaesthetic.
Hope all goes well for you.

Poor Bugsy :( I don't know how quick they can appear I'm afraid. Sending lots of vibes for your wee fella at the vets - let us know how he goes on xx

Very, very quickly. My old bun, Daisy had them and the last one I remember wasn't there at lunchtime and was there in the evening. Vet was brilliant treating them though.

Back