• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Long' bonding

GBNI

Warren Scout
I have been goggling lots of advice about bonding as well as what I have read on here and read about the long bonding process which involves building up the amount of time they spend in together each day, but they are seperated at night.

Has anyone done this bonding method?

Would you possibly be able to tell me more about it please? I have nowhere in my house that I can keep the rabbits in overnight to bond so I will have to seperate.

What i tend to do initially is have 2 'runs' next to each other where the rabbits can see each other and sniff through the wire. They get swapped into each others runs every day, so they get used to each others scent, etc. After a couple fo weeks we try them together, while supervising them, we tend to put the more dominant rabbit into less dominant's run. As long as there is no overt aggression we leave them together, for a couple of hours. We do this extending the time until they seem happy together, at that point we only seperate at night. When we feel they are acting as a couple we leave them in the run, it gives them more space to get away if anything goes wrong. Finally they go into, usually a neutral hutch.
This bonding method is slow, and can take us a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
Ziggy and Sorrell took about 6 months in total, I think. Sorrell had a small bout of stasis as they were put together, so we stepped back and slowed down again. They are now in the run 24-7, although I'm still not fully confident about putting them in a smaller space.
This morning was the first time I've seen Sorrell go up to Ziggy and ask for a groom, and he obliged.:D

Back