• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lily Update

Brennan

Alpha Buck
Im shattered.

I took Lily to the vets today, my mistake was taking her to a different practice. She is registered at two sugerys mostly due to location.

I used to take her to a wonderful bunny vet but the surgery is a 20 minute car journey away, it was always worth it to see that vet - but sadly she left. Thankfully they replaced her with another bunny vet and now she has left....

Friday I made the 20 minute car journey, saw a really nice male vet, I was not unhappy with the care whatsoever, but I wanted her to see a vet today for my benefit to see how she was progressing... I took her to the vets which is 5 mins away and I wish I had just taken her to the one 20 mins away..

They approached the care of her from a completely different angle and I ended up crying!!! (what a loser) they wanted to keep her in and treat her on site. They were only trying to treat her the best way they could, and I know they are probably not used to people treating their bunnies at home...

I am not criticising the care whatsoever, but I explained that I wanted to care for her at home and keep her in her environment and with her mates because it just seems to keep her spirits up....

I felt like a criminal refusing their offer of keeping her in and caring for her at home.... I am going back to my regular surgery this afternoon to review her...

It's my own fault for changing practises midway through her treatment all because I wanted to spare her the 20 minute car journey...

I am so tearful right now, sleep deprivation 100% and hormones.... I just needed to 'talk' about it...

Last edited:
You're doing everything for Lily that you can hun. I know it's exhausting when buns are poorly and need meds, especially when they fight you. Hopefully if you take her to the vet that treated her before then he'll see an improvement. After that, is there someone who can sit with Lily for a couple of hours so you can get some sleep? I wish I was closer to you xx

Thanks guys x x I was going to ask how long bonded bunnies can be parted before they decide to argue over territory? I just didn't want her to be at the vets for a day then have to put her through bonding again...she's never been on her own so I didn't want to add more stress :(

We had a better evening/afternoon yesterday, after a nice chat with Abi (Thank you) I felt better, then she was seen by the vet who initially saw her Friday (why I didn't do that in the first place is still a mystery) and he was happy with her progress with her bad ear, he palpated her gut and was happy that there were poops in there and things felt 'ok'. He advised me to hold fire on the baytril until her poos are more satisfactory, continue the canaural and to administer fibreplex as prescribed.

I let her chill for a few hours after the vets as it was a long day for both of us, popped them in the run which she appreciated I think, she nibbled lots of grass and had a little run around, I also gave her some Kale - which she loves and gobbled lots down... I checked her poos which are not the best but she is passing faeces,

Last night I was still worried about her so I gave her some pellets which she ate, lots of oat hay and orchard grass and left her in peace for the night.

This morning she was happy to beg for treats - always a good sign, gobbled some oat hay and was a little quite after I gave her some fibreplex but she seems to be a 'better version' of herself, which make me worry less...

I am just going to keep an eye on her, hopefully we wont need to go to the vets today - fingers crossed x

Back