• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

7 day old kits with discharge from nose?

mrsb85

New Kit
Hi All,

My rabbit had kits a week ago and 2 days ago i noticed the kids had dark fluid around their nostrils?

What is this and should i be worried, also can i ask when can i clean the cage out properly and remove the nest?

When can the kits use a run in the garden?

The kits sometimes stray from the nest so i return them, when will they find their way back alone?

Thanks for all your help

Clare

All 6 of the babies at some point have had dried dark discharge round his nose. 4 of them have seen the vets and the vet said nothing about it :?
Have you been handling the babies?

hi

HI,

I have only handled them to return them to the nest after they have strayed and rubbed my hands in mums bathroom area first and given mum lots of fuss and attention,

Have i not been doing the right thing?

Oh no - that's fine!! I am not pretending to be an expert or anything ;)
I have had a litter here (foster girly) and I handled them withing 10 mins of being born.. I then cleaned it out a few hours later and moved the nest into the box.

your rabbit should be fine with you handling them as long as she is used to u .. also you could distract her with a bit of food if you have to check the babys the discharge is probably milk or something but i would get it checked out as what your describing could be much worse than i am imagining keep putting the babys that wander of back until they have fur and their eyes have opened .. usually about 12 days the thing is before they have fur they can die very quickly from the cold good luck

I would deffinitely move the nest to a box as they can't get out.
Here is some advice I was given...
Put down a 2" layer of shavings if you have it. Pile in some soft hay and make a deep hole in the middle, all the way to the back, with your fist. Pick up all the fur and put some down at the back of the hole. Put the babies on the fur and put the remaining fur on top of them. Then put the nestbox in the corner where she delivered them.

Back