• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!! I've seperated my rabbits but now they wont go back together

bonnybun

New Kit
I have 2 rabbits bonnie and cookie! Cookie got a cut on the inside of his hindleg and so I seperated them so it had chance to heal but bonnie was getting depressed so I tried to reintroduce them but cookie was running at bonnie and chasing her!!!!!!

Okay first of all it's natural for them to act this way.
You need to find mutual territory for them to bond in - if you were to bond them in the original cage the rabbit who was left on it's own will defend that.
When you do find neuteral territory things like chasing - fur pulling - humping etc. is all normal. Behaviour that is not acceptable is 'lock-on' fighting.
I have bonded a group of 4 and the dominant female KEPT chasing the submissive male. I was bonding them in a large puppy pen so I confined them to a small cage. Less space to chase.
When I went to visit them in their new homes guess which two were snuggled up with each other in a pile ;)

are they both spayed/ neutered? Was the wound caused by the other rabbit?

Also as the bond seems to be broken you will probably need to introduce them again on completely neutral ground, is there a room in your house where they've never been?

I have 2 rabbits bonnie and cookie! Cookie got a cut on the inside of his hindleg and so I seperated them so it had chance to heal but bonnie was getting depressed so I tried to reintroduce them but cookie was running at bonnie and chasing her!!!!!!

If you haven't done this already clean the cut daily with salt water to stop it getting infected. if you see any sort of puss take cookie to the vets.

we dont know if it was bonny who caused the wound but i recently had to have one of my other rabbits ebony put down due to a nasty infected wound. I have 4 rabbits a big lop doe called bipbop (approx. 3 years) who was housed with ebony, Noodles a fairly large lionhead cross (approx. 1 year) who is house on her own, bonnie and cookie (5 months old) who are usually houses together but are seperated at the moment . They all have free roam of the back garden together during the day

I tried but I dont want cookie running around too much as his wound is right near his hindleg and it is going to be awquard to heal cos of the position it is in Iit isnt a deep cut just some fur that has been ripped off with some of the skin

I tried but I dont want cookie running around too much as his wound is right near his hindleg and it is going to be awquard to heal cos of the position it is in Iit isnt a deep cut just some fur that has been ripped off with some of the skin

She need's to see a vet or at least a nurse. Keep them seperated for now and once her leg gets better you'll need to try and re-bond them. Don't panic. Rabbit's heal quickly. You just need to make sure the wound is looked at and cleaned properly by the vet so that it doesn't get infected.

I'm guessing that these two rabbits are unneutered seeing how they are only 5 months. This behaviour is normal, and really it's risky keeping two unneutered rabbits together at the best of times, but more so if you have other rabbits in the area that they can smell.

Personally I would be keeping them apart until they are neutered and then attempt to rebond on neutral grounds. Keeping them together if one has potentially received a wound from the other is a recipe for disaster! Make sure the wound is kept clean, but if it is an 'open' wound the rabbit should see a vet as it may need some antibiotics.

Hind leg wounds are very common between rabbits that are fighting.

I took cookie to the vet she is fine it shud heal no probs the vet has advised me to put bonny n cookie back in together to prevent them not being able to be reintroduced she told me to leave cookie with them to have the wound area trimmed and cleaned and to return in half a hour to reintroduce bonny there so it would be on completely neutral ground. Anyway all went well and they are now both sat grooming each other :D

I took cookie to the vet she is fine it shud heal no probs the vet has advised me to put bonny n cookie back in together to prevent them not being able to be reintroduced she told me to leave cookie with them to have the wound area trimmed and cleaned and to return in half a hour to reintroduce bonny there so it would be on completely neutral ground. Anyway all went well and they are now both sat grooming each other :D

Great news!

I really would keep an eye on these two for any fighting, bite wounds etc... did the vet also suggest neutering. It happens all to often, owners leave them together and come in to then find torn ears, injured rabbits etc..

They may be fine, but if they have been known to fight I would be keeping a very close eye on them :)

Great news!

I really would keep an eye on these two for any fighting, bite wounds etc... did the vet also suggest neutering. It happens all to often, owners leave them together and come in to then find torn ears, injured rabbits etc..

They may be fine, but if they have been known to fight I would be keeping a very close eye on them :)

I'll second this. fantastic news.:)

Trust me I am. The vet sed 2 keep an eye on them but she also told me that they r younger than I thought Igot told they were 8 weeks when I got them but it turns out they were only 4 she sed 2 go back in about 3 months x:roll:

Trust me I am. The vet sed 2 keep an eye on them but she also told me that they r younger than I thought Igot told they were 8 weeks when I got them but it turns out they were only 4 she sed 2 go back in about 3 months x:roll:

jesus

Back