• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grr...some people!

Kits

Young Bun
My sister has 2 lionheads as indoor buns in a 100cm cage, I did try telling her the correct size should be 120cm minumum, but she wouldn't listen. However they do have alot of free range time, the cage is open all day, so I figured that as they're only shut it at night it wouldn't be too bad.
She phoned me yesterday all excited to tell me she's gone out & bought a tiny (fit in the palm of your hand size) guinea pig...to live in the cage with her rabbits:censored:
She told me she has done her research (that means talking to the local pet shop owner who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about) & they can live together happily - I tried to tell her about the different dietary needs etc, but no, she was having none of it & slammed the phone down on me.
You'd think she was a child the way she's acted (no offence to the younger members of the site intended), but no, she is a 43 year old woman:shock:

get her to join here, I am sure we will be of excellent help ;)
In all seriousness, get her to come on here and learn the TRUTH about bunnies. There is so much bull out there, and it amazes me what people will say just to get a sale :roll:. She sounds like she needs re-educating!

Oh dear :( At least you did try to tell her, thats all you can do i guess, apart from pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong :roll:

I agree though, if she has the internet send her the link to here ;) Just politely like :lol: But id get this thread deleted first if your doing that ;) xXx

She's not got internet access so can't join here & will not take advice from anyone unless they are saying what she wants to hear! She acts like a spoilt child & will quite probably now sulk & not talk to me for a couple of months for what I said to her last night :shock:

I know what you mean, i have an aunty like that :? Ive tried to educate her so many times about her bunnies but it always falls on deaf ears :roll: I had to go out and buy a lavender lodge from P@H and say id get given it from a friend (we set it up etc) because her buns were being kept in a little 2ft hutch :( At least i know their accomodation is better now :? But the care if appauling.

Some people dont deserve pets :(

Dont worry yourself over it, just be there when it all goes wrong :) xXx

could you not get hold of some leaflets from places like the rwaf and burgess and hand them too her to read up more about rabbits and their care :wave:

I saw a indoor cage like that at a garden center today, not sure on the exact size, but it was probably about 60cm long :roll: .

There were a few people in there, so I decided to talk quite loudly to my mum about the terrible size, and how my carriers are bigger than that :lol:

Oh it just gets better...

...she's now gone out & got another guinea pig, so there are now 2 lionheads & 2 cavies in a 100cm cage:shock:
No good givine her any leaflets, she is still not talking to me as it is after saying the 2 shouldn't live together, I doubt I'd see her for dust if I started producing leaflets.
All her advice is coming from pet shop owner, she told him how I only feed mine a 90% hay, 10% fresh diet & he was telling her how rabbits have to have rabbit food blah blah - there's no talking sense to her at all.

To top it all off, her boy bun is aggressive (unneutered) & according to what I've heard the guinea pigs are spending all their time hiding in the hay if he is in the cage:censored:

...she's now gone out & got another guinea pig, so there are now 2 lionheads & 2 cavies in a 100cm cage:shock:
No good givine her any leaflets, she is still not talking to me as it is after saying the 2 shouldn't live together, I doubt I'd see her for dust if I started producing leaflets.
All her advice is coming from pet shop owner, she told him how I only feed mine a 90% hay, 10% fresh diet & he was telling her how rabbits have to have rabbit food blah blah - there's no talking sense to her at all.

To top it all off, her boy bun is aggressive (unneutered) & according to what I've heard the guinea pigs are spending all their time hiding in the hay if he is in the cage:censored:

No offence, but if that were my sister i'd actually be reporting her to the RSPCA. I fail to see how anyone could think that it was ok to keep four animals in a cage like that, let a lone two different species. As for the petshop, perhaps he could do with some leaflets.

Sorry, I do know how difficult it is when you are up against family in these situations. I've been there twice before and just removed two rabbits from my sister because she wasn't coping, I didn't give her an option. I also took some rabbits off my aunt once because she had four in a 4ft hutch. People have no common sense!

Back