• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Adopted bun

Daisyd

Young Bun
Hi,

I adopted a bunny from the pets at home rescue section yesterday. The notes on her history were a bit sketchy. They couldn't tell me if she had been vaccinated, wormed or her age. She is a very friendly and forward bunny tho so I think she has been well cared for and handled quite a bit.

Should she should have myxo and vhd jabs and a course of panacuur or is it dangerous to possibly double dose her? We sadly lost other bun Kel a while ago. He had EC last summer, but I don't know how easily transmitted it is? I properly scrubbed out the hutch before putting her in but definately want to worm her incase she picks it up.

She looks really healthy but I'm going to take her to my vets for a checkup so they can have a good look at her teeth and maybe roughtly age her for me. Just getting some advice re: the jabs before I go.

Here's a pic of little Lunar...
Lunar1.jpg

p.s P@H cut the quick on her toe - hence the blood in the pic! :?

You can start her on a course of panacur straight away- usually a 9 day course as a preventative measure.

You can also take her to have a vaccine straight away then the other has to be done 3 weeks later. I would go for the myxi one first since its myxi season at the minute and its more common than vhd.

She's a beautiful bunny :D

The use of panacur as a 9 day preventative is disputed amongst the veterinary profession as not necessarily of any benefit...but I could be wrong. An active infection requires a 28 day course minimum. I think many people give a 28 day course as a preventative to a new bun who has been in contact with or near other buns when they first accquire them or bring them home from boarding to make sure there is no parasite. So I suppose if your vet agreed a 28 day course as a preventative might be the ideal.

I'm not certain but I think that if there is a question over her vaccinations that she can be revaccinated without causing her any harm. Rescue buns often come with uncertain vaccination histories and I think the risks of not vaccinating outweigh the risks of over vaccinating as it were. Therefore, I expect your vet will proceed with both to be on the safe side, but they must be done 2 weeks apart.

I too would do the Myxi first.

Everyones said everything above so I'd just like to say how gorgeous she is :D:lol:

Our vets now reccommend the 28day course only now too ;)

Back