• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis Help

hobbo31

New Kit
I saw that my female continental giant was dragging her back leg a bit so we took her to the vets, they have told me that my female Continental giant might have arthritis on her back knee joints, he has given us some anti-inflammatory tablets to give her and just keep a watch on her, can anyone give me any more information and what we can do ?

I saw that my female continental giant was dragging her back leg a bit so we took her to the vets, they have told me that my female Continental giant might have arthritis on her back knee joints, he has given us some anti-inflammatory tablets to give her and just keep a watch on her, can anyone give me any more information and what we can do ?

Steroid anti-inflammatories or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories?
Has your vet ruled out EC or other issues such as spinal damage, vascular or neurological damage in the brain??
Sometimes it can be hard to know the cause - i'd have thought a course of Panacur alongside the anti-inflammatories would perhaps be a good idea just in case it is EC? Perhaps you could talk to your vet about this? It would need to be a 28 day course. You might also want to ask for an Xray if no improvement? If arthritic changes then the anti-inflammatories should help...although I would personally prefer a NSAID to a steroidal one. Oral metcam daily perhaps?

Our bun elsa came in one day limping, it turned out to be a dislocated hip which sadly wasn't diagnosed correctly on the day as there wasn't any xray done. When the xray was done 3 days later it showed as dislocated but too late to keep the hip in (it kept popping back out as the hip fusion/healing had begun). Elsa is fine now and can easily jump over 4ft walls :shock: depite her permanent dislocated hip :lol::lol: but if your vet offers an xray it could be worth it just to rule out any bone related "stuff" (sorry my vet knowledge only goes as far as my experiences haha :oops: ). I hope shes ok :D

Thanks for that, a bit more information is that the vet said that there is a solid lump on her hock joint and one on her knee joint, he said that he didn't think it was a tumor as there are no other signs, I thought my wife said that the vet had given her some tablets but the vet just gave her a injection.

Thanks for that, a bit more information is that the vet said that there is a solid lump on her hock joint and one on her knee joint, he said that he didn't think it was a tumor as there are no other signs, I thought my wife said that the vet had given her some tablets but the vet just gave her a injection.

Does sound like arthritic changes doesn't it. I wonder if the vet gave a steroid injection? Perhaps a long-term course of oral NSAID might be appropriate here? I'd have a chat to your vet about long-term use of oral metacam/meloxicam.

Back