• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What environmental enrichment do you provide for your buns?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I am asking this of a cat forum I have joined, as my cats are going to be indoors, I need ideas to stimulate them, but I thought I might brush up on my bunnies too.

Seeing the same old environment day in day out, can send any animal, four legged or two, a bit bonkers.

What do you different each day to enrich your rabbits life? to make each day a bit different.

For the past few days I have taken the cover off half of the rabbit run, so the buns have more of a choice of sitting in the rain or heading for cover. They have also got to enjoy more direct sunlight, although again there is shade, if they don't want to.

could we exchange ideas?

I have a house bun and alternate the rooms she can go in every so often. After being in the living room for 3 days, she's been constantly running towards my bedroom as soon as the door opens so she can hop on my bed :)

Other times I bring some bedroom toys (tunnels/boxes etc) and put them in the living room.

The living room offers more shelter and my bedroom offers more places to jump :)

I've stopped giving her a food bowl and feed her dandelion leaves, pellets and diced veg in a cat toy ball. She loves rolling it around and getting the food. Gives her something to do for a good 15 minutes too :lol:

I think I only do the boring things like move their toys round whenever i clean them out, provide a range of different veg throughout the week, provide as many edible tree branches/weeds/plants that I can get my hands on, have them in the house when its wet or leave the patio doors open when its dry so they can come in or out. Errrr..... treat ball? Move the garden furniture? lol Ours love it when i weed the nettles up and leave them in a pile - for some reason this is far more interesting and all of a sudden more edible than them growing? :lol:

I have 2 pairs so I swap their toys over once or twice a week so both pairs have something new to play with. The bit they seem to enjoy most is scenting the new toy to get rid of the other bunnies smell!

I also add some thing new to play with that I have made like a cardboard box filled with shreaded paper with a few pellets hiding underneath or a yellow pages or stuffed empty loo rolls. I will do this every other day.

Mine are house buns and there's always exciting and different things going on, on a very small scale, shopping bags coming in, hoover out, friends shoes left in hallway etc.

Tilly doesn't like too much adventure and although she has access to whole of house only stays in lounge and hall with occasional forays into kitchen. Neither has mastered stairs yet so there is that to come!

Kitty sleeps wherever she fancies and changes her favourite place every few days - spreads the hairs around see :lol:.

They usually have new vegetables everyday but i do take the odd toy in too. Whatever i see lying around the house that is suitable i will take it.... toilet rolls which i fill with grass and hay. Any cardboard boxes i find i fill with hay and hide the odd treat in too so they can have a good dig. I took a phone book in teh other week which they had great fun with.

The best thing to do is just spend time with them as you act as a source of enrichment and if you do something different with them each day then problem solved :)

Back