• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits change colour?

ESA

New Kit
Ok, so Sam is about 10wks old and his mummy was totally white with red eyes and his dad was totally grey. Sam is grey with a white tummy. But over the past few days we have noticed that he is develping white spots on his back, he started with one and now he has three!!!!!!
Is this normal for his fur to change colour as he grows? Will he end up totally white?
Not that it makes any difference but we are just curious!!!!!
x x x

Yip, they change colour.
My boy used to have a kinda orangey bit on him, then during his moult he changed darker.

Mine is 4 now - He changes colour every moult apart from black points, so it's an eternal surprise which colour next - except white.
Even the vet asks "what colour is he this time?"

Young rabbits do change color quite often.
Siamese sables are usually grey as kits, but eventually their bodies get brighter, leaving only dark spots on the ears, feet and face.
As an example here's Aroma with her baby, who eventually got her markings:
Clean_Your_Room_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

Showing Aroma's markings a bit better:
Relaxing_Aroma_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

For older rabbits sunbleaching is usually the cause of color change. Black rabbits turn brown from being out in the sun during summer (just like people:lol: Cept buns actually turn brighter)
My Sasuke is a prime example... In winter (or if he hasn't been out enough) he's a gorgeous silky black rex. If I let him out a lot in the summer he turns golden brown! Which in my opinion is absolutely stunning, its a shame the rabbit show judges don't see it that way:lol:
Busted_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

I'm not sure what could cause white spots... I can't tell properly by that description but your rabbit sounds like a chinchilla or a variety of sorts.
I can't think of any rabbit that naturally develops white spots, but they can get white hairs from being stressed or bitten. Zakura has a tiny white spot in her neck, most likely caused by Sasuke biting her when he got too horny (he's an entire male, she a fixed doe. I let them out together under supervision a couple of times but I don't do that anymore due to humping.)

changing colour

Hi, I have a black rabbit that runs free in the garden all day when its dry, and had turned a lovely shade of brown this summer. Her best friend, my black Labrador dog sunbathe together.(she also has a tinge of brown on her fur).

The rabbit is now a horrid greyish mess as she is moulting, and the lovely brown has gone. Roll on next summer!

yes my flopsy has changed colour only after she had the babies though, she started to get black patches on her she is mostly greyish colour

Daisy has developed flecks of agouti colouring in her coat. When I first got her she was much more orangey. After moulting she always seems to change colour a bit more :)

G + P went from a pale yellow duckling colour to dark ginger. Most mammals, including humans, change hair colour during the course of their lives.

Many of my rabbit's color have changed, especially when they were babies. Timothy used to be completely light gray but now certain places on him (like his face) are dark gray. And when Raven would have his summer moult his fur had a reddish brown in it when he usually was pure black.

When I first got Posy she was agouti all over apart from her white tummy. Now she has white patches around her chin and on her feet.:love:

Back