• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

confused, second nesting!!

danielle50

New Kit
how soon after having babies can the mother get pregnant again? i have 2 netherland dwarf rabbots whichn i thought were 2 boys until i found babies 4 weeks ago, i didnt make a nesting box obviously because i didnt know it was preg. i am now concerned because the rabbit as been acting exactly the same as it did before it has the other babies, (sleepin alot, make nest, pullin fur out). i didnt sperate the father until about 15 hourse after the birth as i was unaware they ahd to be seperated. could the mother of got preg again in that time before i seperated them? it is 4 weeks yesterday since she had the first litter!!

Rabbits can, and do, mate immediately after giving birth.
She is probably about to give birth again i'm afraid. If so she may well attack her older litter so you should be ready in case you have to remove them. They may not be fully weaned yet and you will have to be very careful not to upset their very delicate digestive systems at this stage.

Is the male still with the female? Probably best to get him neutered or you will have a lot of baby buns to look after!

they are not together now, i seperated them about 15 hours after she had babies. we were gonna get the male neutered n put them back together once the babies had gone 2 new homes. the 4 week old rabbits are doin really well they eat the carrits i put in for the mother and they eat her food n hay so hopefully they will be ok if i after remove them how soon after pullin LOTS of hair out should they have babies. it was al suuch a shock last time because they were suppose to be 2 boys.

they are not together now, i seperated them about 15 hours after she had babies. we were gonna get the male neutered n put them back together once the babies had gone 2 new homes. the 4 week old rabbits are doin really well they eat the carrits i put in for the mother and they eat her food n hay so hopefully they will be ok if i after remove them how soon after pullin LOTS of hair out should they have babies. it was al suuch a shock last time because they were suppose to be 2 boys.

Remember he may still be fertile for six weeks after his operation so you will need to keep them seperate for that time xx

new babies

just wot i thought would happen, got up this morning and there was 3 new babies. what to do now with the 4 wk old babies etc???

The 4 week old babies need to be removed, otherwise mum may attack them or the new litter. They should be eating on their own now, but will still be very vulnerable for a while so be very careful what you feed them, and don't be tempted to send them to their new homes until they are about 8 weeks old.

ok thankyou. i just dont know wher i am goin to put them because i only have one hutch which now has the mother and the new babies in n iv got the dad in like a dog cage in the house, 4 wk old babies in cardboard box until we cum up with a solution in the next few hours hopefully. cant believ its happened for the second time, they were suppose to be 2 boys. will the mother be ok outside wid the new babies. i had the last ones in the house until they were 3 week old?

The only thing to do is buy a new cage. If you've got room inside something like this:

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?ProdId=2009&CatId=413&ParentId=171

works great and itsnt too expensive. We bought 2 to connect together as a temporary pen. We had buns in the house for 5 months in these, firstly as one was ill, then i got 3 buns neutored. They fold flat into a smallish box so can easily be put away once youv done with it, and you can use it as a pen for the mum and dad once youve got everything sorted so youre not wating money. One of the 6 panel pens is big enough easiy as a temporary pen. We also bought the base as its water proof so stops the carpet getting ruined. Something like a box with hay should be provided in it to provide shelter and warmth. It came within 2 days for me, but they may do next day delivery. Until then, could they do in the kitchen or bathroom or somewhere, with food and water?

Personally id get the male castrated now, then he'll be ready to go back with the female once the babies are ready to leave at 8 weeks. Id also have a word with your local vet/rescue so they can offer advise on how to look after the 4 week old buns.

Back