• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a rabbit with pasteurella?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm pretty sure that my Dominic has pasteurella...he has pus coming from his nose and eyes at various times and now pus in his ear canal, but never any sneezing.

He was living outdoors with my trio of dutch X sisters, but has been living indoors since the recent spate of wet weather made his condition bad. I can't bring the girls indoors with him because I don't have enough room to house 4 rabbits securely and I can't trust the girls not to wreck the house.

I think that Dominic is probably going to need to live indoors over winter, so I should probably get him a new friend. However I'm really unsure whether he could pass on the pasteurella.

Would it be responsible to get a rabbit without an obvious pasteurella infection, or would it be better to get one who displays similar symptoms to Dominic?

Amy, I spoke to Rachel about this when I had Angel. Rachel said a Pasturella bun can live with a 'normal' bun and never pass the infection on. I asked her advise because I was going to try and bond Frank with Angel eventually. She said I should go for it.

I believe that different buns can have different strains of an infection as well, so even if you have 2 pasturella buns, they could still infect each other?

I know I've read on here people believe you shouldn't integrate a pasturella problematic bun for fear of passing infection.

I think it's going to be your decision when all is said and done.

Thanks Laura, it's really difficult to know what to do for the best.

I don't *think* Dominic's pasteurella can be particularly infectious because he hasn't infected any of the other rabbits (or at least I don't think he has!)

I looked after Angel for a short time and she came into contact with Basil, and he's never showed any signs touches wood.

Also just before I lost Milo, he started to show signs and I was told this often happens when a bun is very poorly, they can carry it without showing any outward signs, then another illness can trigger it.:(

I believe there are 20 different strains of snuffles..so the likelihood of finding as bun with the same one as Dominic is low..unless of course you have them tested
I also believe it is not neccessarily passed onto other rabbits..however those with low immunity..or at times of stress or affected by other illnesses may be more at risk.:?

my personal opinion..get him a partner who seems fit..
Good luck with what ever you decide..and give him a noserub from me!

Thanks Laura, it's really difficult to know what to do for the best.

I don't *think* Dominic's pasteurella can be particularly infectious because he hasn't infected any of the other rabbits (or at least I don't think he has!)

Poor Dom......nothing seems to go right for the little fella does it :(

I think he enjoys being with another bun (even if the girls were a little boisterous for him lol) and with the right partner he'd be a lot happier.

Have you no female buns suitable at the moment?

I'll text you about an evening to pop round :) x

Thanks for the replies everyone :wave: :)

I do have single girls (Marnie and the baby wildie)...Marnie is too stroppy and wouldn't put up with his funny moods and the baby is too quick. The problem with Dom is that he tries to karate kick other rabbits in the head...and some girls just won't tolerate that!

BTW Luckily Rachel thinks that Vernon can be neutered, so I'm planning on bonding him with the baby.

My vet (good bunny vet) told me that the majority of rabbits would test positive for pasturella if swabbed anyway as it sits dormant and show signs when the rabbit is stressed or under the weather for whatever reason (it can be a very little trigger in some rabs and need to be a lot more in others) Its the same with humans and the bacteria that can cause MRSA!
Jessy

Back