• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please, crusty patches on ears.

Smiley

Young Bun
Over the last week or so my rabbit Rocky has got these patches on the bottom of both his ears. To begin with the fur on them was a bit scraggly at the bottom and looked like it was all different lengths. Then today I've had another look and the fur is patchy and the skin i can see is like white and crusty. I'm really worried, does anyone have any idea what it might be?
He seems ok in himself, and is eating and everything.

hey :wave:my 2 developed this at around 10 weeks old i think it was:?. went to the vets and he gave us some cream/ gel to put on and it cleared it up. we are both still unsure what it was but the gel was very good :).

xtine

No he hasn't been treated for mites. Could it be that?
Thanks xtine, I'm gonna take him to the vets on Monday!

i posted a thread a while ago about mine there is a pic on there if you wanna compare. ill try and get a link to it and tomorra ill put up the name of the cream up for you still got a tube somewhere:wave:

SL270032.jpg

SL270024.jpg

I don't think it's the same as that :( I just looked again and it's just crusty. It's hard to explain, but the fur is really thin there too.Thanks for posting the pics!

yeah thtas how mine went! they lost the hair completely there as well. its all grown back now.

I would be guessing its mites, but your vet will let you know when you take them in tomorrow :) Our 4 are being treated for mites now and it started when I spotted scabs on Spice's ears. Not as big as yours but I could have just caught it a bit earlier thats all.

If it is mites the treatment is simple, I can reccommend the Xeno450 which is what they will probably give you anyway - very easy to use :D

hey sorry only just getting back to you the gel i was on about is called viatop. hope you get on ok tomora xxx

Hey thanks for asking! It went horribly. :( Basically, I looked through his fur after I made this thread and I could see the mites moving in his fur. So I took them both as I found them in my other rabbits fur as well. The vet looked for about 2 seconds and said I can't see anything. So he started scratching one of them really hard onto this paper, and he scared him so much he jumped off the table onto the floor! :( I was so upset. Then he said he still couldn't find anything but he'd treat them for it anyway. He didn't even know how to pick them up properly, and kept calling him she even though I told him they were both boys. Not impressed, I won't be going to that vet again! Also, he hasn't said anything about treating them again after 10 days like I've seen on here, so does anyone have any advice? :(

My rabbit has had ear mites and fur mites... had them when I got him. The vet prescribed canaural ear drops twice a day for 7days in each ear, which did the trick. He hated having them though.

For the fur mites he had an injection once a week for 3 weeks which also cleared the problem up. Not sure what the injection was of but my vet said they have a 21 day life cycle so they need a follow up to make sure all eggs, lava, etc are all killed. My vet took a sample of the mite and checked what it was under the microscope though. She is very good. I also treated the cage with Johnsons Cage and Hutch spray.

Ow im sorry to hear that. He/ she sounds like a lovely caring vet:censored: i hope you have another one localy. xtine x

My rabbit has had ear mites and fur mites... had them when I got him. The vet prescribed canaural ear drops twice a day for 7days in each ear, which did the trick. He hated having them though.

For the fur mites he had an injection once a week for 3 weeks which also cleared the problem up. Not sure what the injection was of but my vet said they have a 21 day life cycle so they need a follow up to make sure all eggs, lava, etc are all killed. My vet took a sample of the mite and checked what it was under the microscope though. She is very good. I also treated the cage with Johnsons Cage and Hutch spray.

See, I didn't get any advice like that. I'm gonna find another vet. :(

It sounds like it might be an idea to get a second opinion as your vet sounds awful. It must have been a horrible experience for you. :(

If it helps with my rabbit's fur mites I could see them on his fur too, they were tiny little dots that moved around. Apparently they look white on dark haired rabbits and dark on light coloured rabbits! You could only see them when you parted the fur.

With the ear mites he had a tiny brownish coloured scab inside his ear towards the bottom (not down in the ear canal) and he kept scratching and shacking his head a lot. Hope this helps and good luck with another vet. :D

Back