• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with hutches

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hi dont know if anyone can help me please ive been doing my bf head in with hutch talk over these last few days!!:lol: I basically want a 3 storey 6ft wide hutch that is 2ft high per section. Simon on this forum has been really helpful with advising me on what type of wood i should use, as i was going to have it built. Now i cant decide!!! However ive had a look on various websites and i cant seem to find a hutch that is 2ft high per section, they all seem to be 20" which i didnt think was high enough?? Would this be ok? i prob will modify it as im going to have a tunnel attached to another run as they are on the patio and the patio doors are in the way of them having a big run attached to their hutch.
Sorry for the long post. I wish someone else could make up my mind!!:)

hi ive done a drawing
Photo070.jpg
its only a rough draft. The depth will be 2ft but the bottom run i want 3ft deep. The small box in the bottom left hand corner will be the tunnel access to the run that will be on the other side of our patio which i want to make 2 storey about 5ft wide. Cost wise i was trying to compare how much it would be to build as opposed to buying, but havent yet found anything to compare to.

That's how you want it to look but the kind of drawing I meant was how to make it. here are a few photo's on the way I make them.
IMG_0618.jpg

make the sides first so that you can fit the base and back to it.
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

the framing on the inside of the hutch needs spacing so that you won't see the ends of the wood.
IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

this is a different hutch but after you have fixed the base and the back, partition the sleep box and fix the front up. This is just to give you a rough idea on how to make a hutch. To make a triple storey hutch the principles are the same. I'll do a drawing tomorrow and post it up for you.

Last edited:
Ahh i see!! sorry! Thats brill though thank you. Is there anyway i can save this post so its easy to find when i come to use it. I think im going to ask my cousin nicely to build it for me as he is a carpenter.:)

Ahh i see!! sorry! Thats brill though thank you. Is there anyway i can save this post so its easy to find when i come to use it. I think im going to ask my cousin nicely to build it for me as he is a carpenter.:)

I've done a sketch for you. sorry my drawing is a bit crude but it's more or less all i need to work from so I'm not sure if it's any good to anyone else. I think If you show this to your cousin along with the photo's posted above, what mine look like when finished and explain how you want it to look he shouldn't have any problems. If you need anymore help just ask.
IMG_0681.jpg

Thanks alot really nice of you to go to so much trouble. Hopefully if everything goes well with bonding i will be able to start it soon!! Fingers crossed!! Will post pics when done :D

Thanks alot really nice of you to go to so much trouble. Hopefully if everything goes well with bonding i will be able to start it soon!! Fingers crossed!! Will post pics when done :D

No problem. good luck and I'll look forward to seeing the pics.:)

Back