• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hello and advice please

stephydev

New Kit
Hi there!
My name is Steph and I live in Wales. We currently have 2 buns as well as other animals. Maisie is 2 and a bit and is having a bit of an identity crisis. She quacks when she wants something, eats dog food (as well as people food) and has the biggest personality of any rabbit I've owned.
Bammy ( short for Bam bam) is 7 years old and was orginally a rescue along with 20 odd other rabbits. Bammy is the main reason for my post.

He suddenly started to go lame on his back legs a couple of weeks ago. so we took him to our vets and put him on Metacam, as we thought that due to his age it was the onset of arthritis. This past week, he's lost the use of his hind legs completeley. when I try and stand him up he always seems to tip onto one side, as though one leg just will not support his weight. In himself he is absolutely fine, bright as a button and keen to get in on any action that may be happening. Appetite , well, hes eating like a horse and even fights with the dogs for my milk of a morning.

Obviously this is very distressing for us. he's lost a lot of weight and it cant be great for him dragging his back legs around either. But given that other than his back legs, he's fine, we dont want to have him put to sleep if there is any other alternative. We just want whats best for our boy.

Many thanks for reading this long post, any help or advice will be very greatly appreciated.

Steph and co. xxx

Hi there, you really need to go back to the vets with your bunny, they are the best place to help out with this as there could be a number of things wrong. EC can cause hind leg paralysis, so could be something like that...have your buns been panacured ever?

Just a note, bunnies really shouldnt eat dog food or people food, their digestive system is very delicate and it could create serious problems for your bunny in the future.

It would be worth putting him on a 28 day course of Panacur in case of EC and to have some Xrays done in case he has damaged him spine.

If you do a search there have been a few rabbits with similar problems posted about in the last couple of months.

Back