• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly tail

ESA

New Kit
Last week my clummsy fella sat on the end of poor Sam's tail and managed to peform a little tailectomy!!!!!! :shock:
I took him to the vet the next day and he said that the boney structure is intact but he is missing the skin and therefore the fur from the tip of his tail :cry:
The vet said that was no need to be concerned as the tip was clean, dry and with no redness and it continues to be. All i wanted to know is if this has happened to anyone elses bunny and if the skin and fur have grown back????
The vet wasnt sure if it would or not but he said that even if it didnt grow back there would be no long term problems for Sam.
Thanks.x x x

Last week my clummsy fella sat on the end of poor Sam's tail and managed to peform a little tailectomy!!!!!! :shock:
I took him to the vet the next day and he said that the boney structure is intact but he is missing the skin and therefore the fur from the tip of his tail :cry:
The vet said that was no need to be concerned as the tip was clean, dry and with no redness and it continues to be. All i wanted to know is if this has happened to anyone elses bunny and if the skin and fur have grown back????
The vet wasnt sure if it would or not but he said that even if it didnt grow back there would be no long term problems for Sam.
Thanks.x x x

Yes this happened to my bunny when I was a girl. As a child I was cleaning them out with them running around at my feet and stood on her tail by mistake and it snapped clean off at the Coccyx :shock::cry: I was only about 7 or 8! Why children + rabbits should always be supervised!
Yes the skin healed over and fur eventually grew over the stump - but there is no certainty that this will happen in every case as your vet says. Lollipop was a baby when I stood on her tail. She lived a long life and even survived Myxi unvaccinated - back in the 80's....and her absent tail never caused her any problems in a domestic environment. Except that when the injury occured she screamed :cry: and was clearly in pain (no bunny pain relief in those days) so we cleaned the wound with hibiscrub and there was little else we could do.
Your bunny will need some pain relief and the wound kept an eye on for scald or soiling from urine/faeces and any infection. I would make sure you keep Sam's bedding extra clean and dry. He may also benefit from prophylatic antibiotics to prevent any potential infection should it occur from reaching the bone. Probiotics would be helpful alongside any antibiotic.
I don't mean to be rude but with any injury it is very important to seek urgent vet attention for immediate assessment and pain relief. I hope Sam and his stump feel better soon. :)

Thank for the reply.
The vet did not give antibiotics as the boney structure remains intact i.e there is no break in the bone, the skin is just missing. He didnt make a sound when it happen, its not bothered him since. But we have been keeping a very close eye on him and it.
Here's hoping the fluffy bit does some back.x x

Okay, the thing is bunnies being prey animals really do hide pain very well, I would have thought that even with a superficial flesh injury that a dose of pain relief would be helpful, both for pain relieving and anti-inflammatory reasons. That is just my opinion. :)

Back