• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - leaking urine!!!! U/D post 1 - she's gone

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi All

Well apparently the problem was nothing to do with her bladder or anything, it was her tummy. There was a blockage - the vet cleared it after a scan and X-ray type thing. She was then put in intensive care and made it through the first few hours but passed away last night. He said that there was nothing else he could do and probably nothing else we could have done. I think he was being kind, I think she might have had a better chance if we had insisted on taking her in straight away - still, we'll never know now. He is going to do more research into the bladder issue - it is new for him that there should be urine problems with the tummy. At least something will come out of it for other bunnies.

Thanks for your help, I'm going to post on the Bridge now.

Emma

OP:

Huppie is leaking urine. The last couple of hours I noticed she couldn't get comfy and was sitting in different places to usual. Just now she was sitting in a completely new place and her teeth were chattering so she must be in pain. I picked her up and she was wet. I looked at other places she had been sitting in and they were wet with wee too.

I flipped her over - her hocks, tail and bum are all damp, like she is leaking. It has never happened before - she is a very fastiduous lady.

She also has a big balloon feeling round her tummy area.

She is eating normally and this morning she was excited when her brekkie came - she has in fact been binkying more than usual the last 3-4 days :?

She has been pooing mostly fine but the occasional string and smaller poo for a couple of days. This is because she is coming to the end of a moult and she gets like this with every moult so I didn't think much of it - I have been grooming her at least once a day and the moult is nearly over.

Please help! Any ideas what it could be? Do I need to take her to the emergency vet or can it wait till Monday? I will of course ask the vets but I like your opinion too because if the **** vet is on call she will tell us to wait regardless (when Huppie stopped eating she told us to wait another 14 hours!!!!).

Thanks

Emma

Last edited:
Sorry huppie, I have only limited experience but I would say she needs to be seen right away. If this is a bladder infection then the infection could end up in her kidneys if left, not to mention the excrutiating pain.

Others on here will have had experience of this or similar but in humans and cats cystisis is very serious and needs immediate attention.

I would get her to a vet, she may just have an infection but if her abdomen is enlarged her bladder may be full and unable to empty properly for some reason so is overflowing :?

Just rang the vets - I got the uber guru vet thank the lord. He said I should give her some painkiller. I have Metacam in the house. He says I need to give her that and keep a close eye on her behaviour, eating, weeing and drinking habits and call him back in 5 hours or, if things get worse.

Emma

Check for blood if you can and good luck with helping her.

I'll have a look at the pee puddles (have to clean them anyway) and will check then.

Poor girl is ever so grumpy with me but must be in pain - she didn't even thump when I put her back down on the ground :(

Emma

I totally trust this vet but my god the wait is killing me - Huppie just does this all the time while not leaving the spot: sit up, lie down, turn round, tuck feet in, turn feet round, lift head, sit up, turn round etc etc etc. She keeps chattering her teeth - I hope the metacam kicks in soon. I have no idea how long it takes!!!

I don't even have any chocolate and hubby is out and I need a hug :cry:

Aw have a hug from me, a big one.

Is 5hrs when the surgery is open? Just wondering why you have to wait. Keep us updated please and try not to worry, is she still eating and drinking?

She hasn't drunk since I noticed there was a problem and she has refused her favourite treat. She ate at breakfast (SS) at 09:00 and seemed find then. I haven't seen her poo since. I have been watching her since I saw the problem start.

Just now I was outside and she peed herself - a proper full pee. She just sat in it and didn't move! I picked her up (sorry it is dark, I didn't want to flash her):

2i7494w.jpg

I mopped the worst off with a dry cloth. Should I try and clean her with water as well or will that scare her even more? Her paws ans sides a bit damp too now. She is now trembling :(

Don't know why the vet said to leave it...probably out and about - it is 27 degrees here (not helping matters!)

Thanks

I'm sorry I have not got the experience that others on here have to be able to guide you but I hope you cleaned her as best as you could. Try to get a sample perhaps by soaking some up in paper kitchen towel then you can take that to the vets too if they need to test it.

Good luck it can't be long now before you take her.

awe bless her,i hope she is ok.she is obviously feeling rotten,she definately needs to see someone today.one of my boys,nobby,has a very slight incontinence problem at but we think that is due to him being E.C positive,sorry i can't be much help.good luck.x

Hows the bunny now?

Personally i would get the vet to check her out asap, this kinda thing happened to one of my rabbits and he had a virus, because of his age he unfortnately died (7 1/2 weeks). The wee, not eating/drinking, not pooing, it all sounds too similar. Although it could be a million and one things, so dont panic yet.

I dont see what the pain killers will do other than help with the pain, obviously, but its not going to get down to the bottom of the problem, whatevers causing this to happen. Surely the vet needs to treat the cause, and not just the symptoms?

I hope the buns feeling a bit better now

Back