• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been Bitten :-(

tkdkat

Young Bun
Three times, on both feet and my hand.

I have had my little baby girl for four weeks now so she's now 12 weeks old and she hasn't been to bad. Iv'e just been building up her trust with me and she had just started coming to me. I brought home a new boy who's ten weeks old and Millie was really nasty tried to bite Jaspy so I have separated them for now. They can still see and smell each other but Millie has started to attack me, she had me dancing trying to avoid her but sh got my foot :( Millie is still trying to bite Jaspy through the cage..

where do i go from here I thought it was going to be just a case of putting them in together, now im sad as i thought i was doin teh right thing havin two rabbits, so they would be company for each other.

Your Doe is now at puberty and so her behaviour is hormonal. Unless you intend to breed you cant put an entire Doe with an entire Buck once they reach sexual maturity.

I'd get them both neutered at the appropriate ages (5-6 months for the Doe and as soon as the bucks testicles have decended-usually 12-16 weeks) then wait a few weeks for them to recover before attempting to bond them on neutral territory.

Until she is neutered your Doe will remain mardy and hormonal whilst she can smell an entire Buck, even if he is not yet fully mature

You won't be able to put them together yet. If you leave them together now the doe will get pregnant. You can get the male done at 4 months or as soon as his genitals are showing and the doe at 5-6 months. If you let your doe get pregnant so young it will ruin her. For now keep them seperate then when the time come's there are lot's of people on here that will help you bond them together.

I'd keep them well away from each other until you've done as Jane suggests. She may retain negative feelings towards the buck if she keeps feeling annoyed by his presence pre-neutering... Once they're both neutered, a rescue may bond them for you, in exchange for a donation...

Hi, cheers for replies

I had talked about it with my vet when Millie had her Mixi jab and she said it might be possible to put them together until we spay her at 4/5 months. So this aint gonna be possible by the sounds of it then :( thats a shame as I wanted them to enjoy childhood together and have lots of fun binkying etc

so i keep them seprate for 2 months then?

I know what you mean. Its not nice to see them alone at that age. I don't think that that was the best advice a vet could give though.

Hi, cheers for replies

I had talked about it with my vet when Millie had her Mixi jab and she said it might be possible to put them together until we spay her at 4/5 months. So this aint gonna be possible by the sounds of it then :( thats a shame as I wanted them to enjoy childhood together and have lots of fun binkying etc

so i keep them seprate for 2 months then?

But if it isnt could you cope with 8 babies, plus another 8 three weeks later if you dont get the male out before she gives birth?

No I dont want to be irresponsible and have babies there is enough unwanted rabbits without me adding to it. Are they ok to be kept side by side then? Should I swop them into each other cages every couple of days to get used to each others smell?

How can I stop millie bitting me :(

No I dont want to be irresponsible and have babies there is enough unwanted rabbits without me adding to it. Are they ok to be kept side by side then? Should I swop them into each other cages every couple of days to get used to each others smell?

How can I stop millie bitting me :(

As long as they are not getting stressed out by each other they'll be ok side by side in different hutches. In Fact if they will be bonded together once spayed then it's probably the best thing to do. The more you handle Millie the better she will be with you. Try giving her treats an fuss her behind her ears before you pick her up but if she bites you or tries to then tell her off for it. All rabbits that are loved and looked after properly will end up knowing it.

As long as they are not getting stressed out by each other they'll be ok side by side in different hutches. In Fact if they will be bonded together once spayed then it's probably the best thing to do. The more you handle Millie the better she will be with you. Try giving her treats an fuss her behind her ears before you pick her up but if she bites you or tries to then tell her off for it. All rabbits that are loved and looked after properly will end up knowing it.

Thanks Simon, it's only since I got Jaspy that she has bitten me. The last four weeks she hasnt bitten me or being nasty at all

That is terrible advice from your vet - I am shocked!! :shock: Female rabbits can get pregnant from the age of three months so by the time she's five months as your vet suggested she could be well on her way to having her second litter!

Personally I'd shop around and find a vet who can give you good advice and has good outcomes from their neuterings - our vets will neuter females when they are 1kg and the boys as soon as their bits show so it could be sooner that you can bond them.

It sounds like it's possibly the smell of the new rabbit on you that's aggravating her so maybe washing and changing clothes between handling each of the rabbits, just until she's neutered and calmed down a bit might help.

That is terrible advice from your vet - I am shocked!! :shock: Female rabbits can get pregnant from the age of three months so by the time she's five months as your vet suggested she could be well on her way to having her second litter!

Personally I'd shop around and find a vet who can give you good advice and has good outcomes from their neuterings - our vets will neuter females when they are 1kg and the boys as soon as their bits show so it could be sooner that you can bond them.

It sounds like it's possibly the smell of the new rabbit on you that's aggravating her so maybe washing and changing clothes between handling each of the rabbits, just until she's neutered and calmed down a bit might help.

I agree please change your vet... I really dont kow how some of the qualify with such poor knowledge, its very scary :shock:

Back