• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Rehome Questions

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I wanted to know what types of questions do you rescues ask when you're determining whether or not someone has a home appropriate for rehoming? I'm looking at another person to rehome Eddison with, and I want to know what kind of questions I should ask. She already has a female holland lop and hopes that Eddison could be a nice boyfriend for her. I know I want to ask about cage size, what type of food she feeds her bun, if she uses a water dish or a bottle..

Should I ask if she already has a vet and who it is? Should I ask if she knows about stasis and things like that? I don't know how crazy I should get, so any advice is helpful!

Just going over and chatting with her will probably answer most of your questions :D If her and her bun seem very happy and content then most likely this is the case. Maybe ask about exercise (whether in garden run, about the house etc) and how long the buns get. I'd check that her bun is vaccinated before introducing to yours and if not tell have about the benefits :) You could ask about other pets she has?

My homecheck was actually really enjoyable and I remember chatting for hours, the formal rabbit question bit was quite quick compared to the rest of our chit chat hehe.

I've rehomed a few animals now and I tend to go on my gut instinct. Like Sam_Spice says, you learn a lot from just chatting to them and looking at existing pets.

I think my thing is that I look for people that will allow the animal to act in a natural way and not see that as 'bad behaviour', if that makes sense?

i have to say i did sams hoemcheck and yup i did keep you chatting for hours!! :oops: but seriously it is good to get a feel for teh kind of person they are watch for the way they handle their rabbit and the way the rabbit seems to be... (if they already have some bunnys)

now if they dont...make sure that you see the set up the bun will be living in. check for wires indoors if its an indoor home and dont be afraid to sit on the floor to see from a bunny height what hazzards there may be. if an outdoor home think of the key things you want eddison to have...ie space, hutch height, run/free range and write these down make yourself a checklist and do go and see it for yourself or get photos and ask someone else to check its teh real deal,
if they have a vet for other pets ask for the vets name so you can get a vet reference, ask what they will do if they go away, if they have had bunnys before, what they plan to feed the rabbit and if they are aware of vaccinations neutering etc, ask if they would be willing to send you photos and updates by email form time to time to see his progress and ask if they decided they couldnt look after him for whatever reason what they would do...try and get a contract signed tho often not leagally binding this makes people think twice about things. cehck they are aware of costs of treatment should bunny get ill and need dentals/stasis treatment/hospitalisation etc and chat to them to get a feel. if worried about hutch sizes dont eb afriad to take a camera with you and a tape measure to measure up the hutch. :)

You ask whatever you feel is nessesary. At the end of the day, you don't want to regret rehoming your bunny to someone you weren't sure about.

I've rehomed a few animals now and I tend to go on my gut instinct. Like Sam_Spice says, you learn a lot from just chatting to them and looking at existing pets.

I think my thing is that I look for people that will allow the animal to act in a natural way and not see that as 'bad behaviour', if that makes sense?

I really like this. It shows me how my OH isn't much of a rabbit person. He gets mad at them when they mark territory with poo, chew walls, chew cords, etc etc. Then he'll yell at them like "Hey, stop that!!" and get frustrated when they don't "learn". He just seems to take it personally, like the bunnies are *trying* to aggravate him. I explained that they're just doing what bunnies do, and it's better to have safeguards that disallow them to do these things, rather than try yelling at them.

I will keep an eye out for that. thanks!

You ask whatever you feel is nessesary. At the end of the day, you don't want to regret rehoming your bunny to someone you weren't sure about.

This makes me feel better. I thought I would be a crazy person asking way too many questions, but I'd rather be crazy than unsure of whether or not my rabbit went to a wonderful home or not. :)

Just going over and chatting with her will probably answer most of your questions :D If her and her bun seem very happy and content then most likely this is the case. Maybe ask about exercise (whether in garden run, about the house etc) and how long the buns get. I'd check that her bun is vaccinated before introducing to yours and if not tell have about the benefits :) You could ask about other pets she has?

My homecheck was actually really enjoyable and I remember chatting for hours, the formal rabbit question bit was quite quick compared to the rest of our chit chat hehe.

I hope mine goes like that. She seems really nice and like another possible RU'er! (although I feel dejavu when I say that. :roll:) I did meet her in person before though, so here's hoping!

now if they dont...make sure that you see the set up the bun will be living in. check for wires indoors if its an indoor home and dont be afraid to sit on the floor to see from a bunny height what hazards there may be.

I can just see myself on the floor now... :lol:

"You guys really need to vacuum more! *Achoo!!*"

Back