• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kennel Plan - Opinions Please :)

Jack-Bun

Warren Veteran
First of all - Hello Everyone :wave: (not been here for 2 weeks)

Today me and my mum were talking about the kennel and have decided on the following:

• Those sticky tile squares for the actual inside of the kennel/run, I would cover the whole floor, and then say 1/2 a told up the walls to stop wee stains etc etc.
  • In the actual run - Lino. But not that slidey type, the more textured lino. This would only be for the winter so it can be removed, as sometimes the run gets a tad wet due to rain coming in, even when the kennel is all covered. (Nothing major, just a damp patch at the corners on the run)
  • Wooden blinds (those that you twist to close and put a wire to roll up) for the open side of the run. At the moment we hve just got a bamboo blind thing, that is a bit rubbish as it has to be pulled over the back to be opened. So these new blinds would be able to just be rolled up, and would be more sturdy and better quality.

Do they seem ok to you - I just want to see if you would think it was weird putting Lino in the run, but personally I think it would make things much easier and more clean.

Sorry if I have lost you along the way, I got a bit carried away :oops::lol:

I've used both of those and they've been fine. The tiles may need some stronger glue rather than relying on the sticky backing as they tend to lift.

With lino you need to make sure they don't eat it. I've read it can contain lead, and it could cause problems if swallowed.

What's the run floor at the moment?

I'm not sure about lino in the run is a good idea. I think you'd find it gets more damp because the water can't soak in and even the textured stuff is quite slippy once it has a thin layer of water over.

Are your buns old or have medical problems? If not then a damp patch in the run is just a bit of enrichment and won't do any harm.

Yes, Tamsin is right that if lino traps moisture under it the wood will rot. I should have said my lino floored run had a roof to keep the rain out. The lino was also in squares that covered the mesh floor only, not the wood :)

Is there a wooden floor in the run part Jack, or is it just on patio slabs?

The run part of my aviary doesn't have a floor and it tends to get a little damp in the corners when it rains. Dh put guttering along the back, which has helped immensely, but the floor still gets a little damp along the back wall in heavy rain. I'm not sure if the lino would either get wet on top, or end up trapping the moisture underneath.

I'm planning on lining the shed floor and bottom half of the walls with vinyl tiles too - I did it with my old hutch and it was so much easier to clean than bare wood. I just need to nag dh into cutting the plywood for me, as the vinyl tiles aren't going to stick as well to tongue and groove.

The pricing for lino is alot for that size I'm guessing, we wanted a 9ftx10ft piece for our animals, would have been about £100 if not more for the cheapest lino. PVC is what we've used in the end but it isn't gets ripped fairly quickly so maybe only suitable for up the sides of the walls. What flooring have you got now?

The floor at the moment is concrete slabs.
The kennel is like this:
DK&R.jpg

Guttering sounds like a good idea, I'll see if my dad would be able to sort something out.

The lino wouldn't be stuck to the floor, it would be able to be removed if the plan didn't work. I just thought that concrete gets quite cold in winter, and something to line the floor would keep the kennel more worm when it's all covered.

They never wee on the concrete, they wee in their hay box, so the lino wouldn't have wee on it.

I have stable matting in one of mine in the run because Angel has sore hocks,really easy to clean and can be lifted out:D

Back