• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanuts - are they safe?!?

matjoliver

Warren Scout
Hi, just wondering really. The buns now have the full run of the garden, but this means they are also able to eat any peanuts that the birds/squirrels might knock onto the floor.
Daisy seems rather partial to them, but I don't want her poisoned or anything!

I wouldn't think they were good for rabbits because of the high protein/high fat content. But I'd also be very worried about the danger of choking :?

I am sure I've read on here, that someone posted that, rabbits are aloud peanuts but in very small portions, like a treat.. Was I just imagining it, or dreaming it :?

they dont have them all the time.just someone told me the oil in them is good for their coat?or am i thinking sunflower seeds?:?

As far as I understand it, it's because theres way too much fat and protein and would be very unhealthy, not so much that they are toxic or anything. I also wonder about choking.

not being funny but dont rabbit have teeth to chew?!

Peanuts are ok as a one off peanut here and there - certainly don't make it a daily thing cos they will get to be porky pigs!

As far as I understand it, it's because theres way too much fat and protein and would be very unhealthy, not so much that they are toxic or anything. I also wonder about choking.

I've seen peanuts in some of the rabbit mixes available but they are always swashed, I'm guessing that's to get round the choking issue. They definitely can't be a good thing in rabbit mixes especially as that will make up the bulk of the food for rabbits with less knowledgeable owners. The food mix I was given with Izzy would mean she would have got about 15/20 peanuts a day :shock:

The other three don't touch them, just Daisy seems to have a couple now and again. I think to be safe, we'll move the bird table to the patio so we can sweep anything up before the buns are out :)

Back