• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flystrike advice

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys i hope you can offer a bit of advice.

i have a boarder coming to us in 2 weeks who had flystrike last year and i have been phoned today to be informed she had it again on thursday. she is okay, but sore. the thing is, she is rearguarded, not overweight kept very clean etc.

so has she just been unlucky? she is 7 years old.

does anyone have any extra advice i could give her?

thanks

I'm wondering if she may have a touch of arthritis because of her age.this may mean she may not be able to wash herself quite as easily or she may not be standing in quite the right position to wee so getting a bit on her legs which could attract flies.

Maybe worth getting the vet to check her joints and mobility, if there is a problem daily metacam would probably be a big help :wave:

That's a shame. We had an elderly bun who sadly had flystike twice. He did get a mucky bum though.

I would remind her to be very careful about hutch hygiene as well. Keep some lavendar plants nearby to deter flys or some dots of Citronella oil (chemist) around outside of hutch or on bits of kitchen roll - nowhere bun can reach tho.

If bunny is in a hutch a babys pram insect net can be very useful for ensuring flys can't get in but if in a larger enclosure some mosquito netting - ebay, you can even get large pop up mosquito "tents" which may go over a run etc.

Shaving? - so its easier to see eggs?

from what i can gather (shes never been here before so havent met her yet), she is very short haired so shaving wouldnt help.

they check her all the time, this time they checked her 2 hours before they found the eggs so it hadnt been long.

ill mention the arthritus, it did cross my mind!

oh definatly they love her to bits, she phoned me to ask if she was still okay to come here because she had had this flystrike and thought i wouldnt want her to come as she would be too much trouble!

i said of course she can still come, ill keep a very close eye on her. shes called grace :love: little old girly.

Back