• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possble to bond an unspayed female with a neutered male...

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
..or will I have to get her done first? She's not aggressive at all which is good :) Extremely affectionate,in fact...:love: but rather territorial and dominant. I'm thinking she'd probably be a bit too hard on him :( Boris is very shy and sensitive and would be terrified of her for the rest of his life would anything go wrong. I just don't want anything bad to happen! I'd rather wait til she's spayed but my mum is reluctant. So I thought I might as well ask you people on here and then tell her what you think :) Reading a post from this forum made her realise getting another rabbit wasn't such a bad idea after all so I think she's willing to listen to any suggestions you may have :)

Splodge has had 2 unspayed girlfriends so far but he quite likes being bossed around, I did get them done when they were old enough :p

My Benji (neutered male) lived all his life with his unneutered girl, without any problems at all. She wasn't bossy at all, they were the perfect pair. So it is possible, though perhaps more the exception than the rule.

Vera

My Benji (neutered male) lived all his life with his unneutered girl, without any problems at all. She wasn't bossy at all, they were the perfect pair. So it is possible, though perhaps more the exception than the rule.

Vera

I totally agree, its down to the doe itself, but its hard. Hermy was unspayed, but the dominant one in the relationship. Their bond was VERY strong and even when she matured and was hormonal, she never showed any signs of aggression. However, she was bonded at 8 weeks old... if they are young, I would say it's do-able.

My Luna isn't spayed yet, but she has lived happily bonded with Chunks (neutered) since she was kicked out of her litter at 4 weeks old, and they've been happily snuggled up together ever since. Although I think Chunky bullies her a bit, but she loves him :love::lol:

Vera

I see the difference in bunny temperaments, & the new environment as working against a successful bonding here until your doe has been spayed.
Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Wonder what others think about the "slow bonding technique" of letting them see each other through a wire mesh?

Peter and Posy are very happily bonded and she is unspayed at the moment as she is too young.

She is 4 months old now and I will get her spayed as soon as she is 6 months old.

It was a very, very easy bonding.

Update

Well I put them both out in the run today which I divided into two parts using wire mesh and they were completely fine :) No signs of aggression whatsoever! However I then tried to bring them indoors which worked fine at first,but as soon as Boris came too close to Bella's room she went completely nuts and attacked him. Luckily I still had wire mesh in between so nobody was injured,but when I do bond them properly I'll have to make sure to put them someplace completely neutral! :shock: I had no idea Boris was so confident though. The attack didn't scare him nearly as much as I thought it would,he simply backed off then ignored her. I definitely think these two will end up living happily together as long as the bonding is done properly. I'm going to have another go following all of the rules and if that doesn't work,I'll wait until she's spayed.

I see the difference in bunny temperaments, & the new environment as working against a successful bonding here until your doe has been spayed.
Sorry to be a wet blanket.
Wonder what others think about the "slow bonding technique" of letting them see each other through a wire mesh?

All my bonding, until this last year were with an unspayed doe with a castrated male. I only had 4 failings in about 15 bonds- I even had 2 unspayed sisters and a castrated male live together with no problems.

I always do slow bondings and give the rabbits more space rather than less, so they have a chance to get away. This has worked for me and proved itself when I finally managed to bond Sorrell with Ziggy recently.
Sorrell was very difficult to pair with anybody, before and after she was spayed.
I also don't think the age of the female makes a difference, I've bonded 4 years olds, it is more to do with the temprement- and in saying that the ones that failed were mainly because one of the rabbits had been badly abused and was therefore very nervous.

All my bonding, until this last year were with an unspayed doe with a castrated male. I only had 4 failings in about 15 bonds- I even had 2 unspayed sisters and a castrated male live together with no problems.

I always do slow bondings and give the rabbits more space rather than less, so they have a chance to get away. This has worked for me and proved itself when I finally managed to bond Sorrell with Ziggy recently.
Sorrell was very difficult to pair with anybody, before and after she was spayed.
I also don't think the age of the female makes a difference, I've bonded 4 years olds, it is more to do with the temprement- and in saying that the ones that failed were mainly because one of the rabbits had been badly abused and was therefore very nervous.

Thank you for this information halfpenny. Your success with bonding is impressive. I have no experience of severely abused bunnies, but have noticed that severely traumatised cats also have problems in relating to their own species.

4 failings in 15 bonds! :shock: Wow you must be really good at it then! You can come here and bond mine for me if you like lol :lol: If only you weren't so far away!
Seriously. I'm planning on putting them together tonight. No wire mesh involved :shock: And I'm absolutely terrified! :oops:

Delly isnt speyed yet, and the bonding went fine :)
Its only now though, that her hormones are shining through a tad. She has started thumping when I go to get her out which she didnt do before so Im totally blaming the hormones :lol: she is also humping oggies head a bit, not that he minds ; he just sits there and lets it happen :oops:

I have had a few unspeyed females living with castrated males and they were all fine and really close. I have even bonded them and then had females done and put them back in with the males so they are not stressed at being apart and that as also worked perfectly. I like halfpenny haven't had many unsuccessful bonds.

4 failings in 15 bonds! :shock: Wow you must be really good at it then! You can come here and bond mine for me if you like lol :lol: If only you weren't so far away!
Seriously. I'm planning on putting them together tonight. No wire mesh involved :shock: And I'm absolutely terrified! :oops:

I've been bonding Petal and Frank since this morning and she isn't spayed as she is too young. They are in my bathroom with a wire panel across the front and fingers crossed it's going okay.

He's quite blase and she is tolerating him, so we shall see what happens from here :)
Good luck!

Back