• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing rabbits in garage

LouiseV

New Kit
Hi,

I'm about to build a good sized outdoor rabbit run and was going to include the hutch as part of the run. However, the run backs onto our garage.

I wondered if it was sensible to provide the rabbits with a cat flap and let them have their sleeping/indoor area inside the garage. That way, none of their run space would be taken up by a hutch and they would be dry and warm(ish). The garage has windows so there would be natural light. Also they would be able to go in and out of their own accord.

However, I would have to cordon off a corner of the garage as its double length and we use it for lots of other stuff as well. We have a car in there - a rarely used sportscar and at the bottom end whereas they would be at the top end under a window.

Would I be better off providing them with a proper 6x2x2 hutch positioned at the other side of the cat flap or make another small uncovered run with straw/hay on the floor and a cosy sleeping box? I don't want to get a hutch if its really not necessary.

Many thanks!

As long as you dont turn your car engine on whilst in the garage as the fumes can be toxic to bunnies then they should be ok. There area will have to be secure though as they are very good at escaping and here will be lots of things in a garage that are harmful to bunnies.

housing

Hi,

I'm about to build a good sized outdoor rabbit run and was going to include the hutch as part of the run. However, the run backs onto our garage.

I wondered if it was sensible to provide the rabbits with a cat flap and let them have their sleeping/indoor area inside the garage. That way, none of their run space would be taken up by a hutch and they would be dry and warm(ish). The garage has windows so there would be natural light. Also they would be able to go in and out of their own accord.

However, I would have to cordon off a corner of the garage as its double length and we use it for lots of other stuff as well. We have a car in there - a rarely used sportscar and at the bottom end whereas they would be at the top end under a window.

Would I be better off providing them with a proper 6x2x2 hutch positioned at the other side of the cat flap or make another small uncovered run with straw/hay on the floor and a cosy sleeping box? I don't want to get a hutch if its really not necessary.

Many thanks!

wow,now you sound like me...my brood-have a solarium/16 windows,about 4x6 meters-12x18ft./10ft ceiling.-cost=over-$6,000.00.usa/.in my opinion they would welcome the running room/great,..sincerely james waller/the other kent,,wash./:love:usa

Hi all,

Any advice re hutch vs small run with sleeping box in the garage? As I said earlier, they'll only be able to have a corner of the garage backing on to their run.

Thanks.

Hi :wave:
weve done a similar thing but with our shed, they're hutch sits in the corner of the shed with a plastic tunnel connecting it to they're run that way they can stay warm and dry inside the shed and also have access to a large run if you look at a thread I put in the stories and photos section(I think it was there) I know the heading was 'its finally stopped raining' you can see our run and the tunnel they go in and out of is on the right hand sde of the run. We find it works really well, we are just looking to extend inside the shed as its just full of rubbish and we'd like to have another 2 bunnies so then we will do what the others are talking about and give them the shed basically!!

Back