• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail trimmin.... think ill leave it to the vet

xtine

Warren Scout
well i was already to have a go at cutting the rabbits nails today my first ever go. but my two do not like being held so i was prepared towel, treats etc. even with all this preperation not a chance.... every time i got a hold they were wriggling away and were off. the result i have booked an appoinmant with the vet:lol::lol::lol: dont want to break the trust iv started to have with them. xtine

strange visit today! went into the room with them and was told to take a seat outside even though on the phone i asked to have a lesson in nail clipping (later discussion and they will do this next time). my 2 very hard to pick up buns were absouloutly fine apparently, no problem even though they were "really good" the quick was niped 4 times:( and the towel i used to cover the carryer wa shoved in with them (remember easy to hold!) a bit miffed really as discussion after the nurse was telling me i can hold them like this do this with the towel etc and thats what iv been trying to do. would have been nice to see them do this? :?:?:?

Hmm, that is a bit strange that they wouldn't have let you in with them?! I cut my rabbits nails myself-although I hate doing it and get really nervous, I find it stresses them less than a trip to the vets.

For next time do you have anyone who could help you? Someone could hold the bun while you cut or vice versa? My buns don't have black nails so it's easy to see where not to cut and we haven't had any accidents so far..although I don't cut them very short!

This is also a demonstration on how to wrap your bunny up in a towel (although the bunny is very placid!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3okPKg9Fc8

hmmm that doesn't sounds too good, our vets luckily have shown us alot of things (whether we asked or not with some nurses hehe) but at least their forcing the knowledge onto me and other customers :D I find the best way is to have one person hold the bun which another trims the nails, maybe where a thick coat if your holding just incase any claws or teeth appear hehe :lol:

eta: marleyandme got some fab advice in by the time id replied hehe :D

hmmm that doesn't sounds too good, our vets luckily have shown us alot of things (whether we asked or not with some nurses hehe) but at least their forcing the knowledge onto me and other customers :D I find the best way is to have one person hold the bun which another trims the nails, maybe where a thick coat if your holding just incase any claws or teeth appear hehe :lol:

eta: marleyandme got some fab advice in by the time id replied hehe :D

:D Great minds think alike eh? Either that or fools seldom differ! :lol:

I prefer to do my bunnys nails myself. My Ella dont like being helded but usally i catch her and get someone to help me turn her into a bunny burito! :D
I was very nervous at doing the nails myself at first but practice makes perfect - what method works for one might not work for the other. Ella has to be burioted while Phoebe will plop over quite happily and let me turn him over to do his nails without kicking or making a fuss!

I would never do it myself just not got the nerves tbh. Jaki has black nails and the vets say its a bit tricky. The last time before the last (makes no sense :lol:) the vet cut it down to short and there was blood everywhere, Jaki was fine but I nearly passed out and was really upset! x

Back