• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can you get head cones for kittens/small rabbits?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I need a plastic head cone for my rabbit (He's about 13 weeks old)
Can't get to the vets untill Saturday
Do Pets @ Home sell them?

What is wrong with the bun?

I would only use one as a last resort as it makes it harder for them to eat- which is necessary for a bun.

Pets at home don't sell them, and if you must have a collar, the soft ones are best cos they can still eat their caecals. However, you can get little tops for chihuahua size dogs that you could put on your bun if that would help - my Beau wore a top when I had a wound on his back he wouldn't stop chewing :D

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go but if it was my bun and I thought their eye looked bad enough to need a cone then they are bad enough to see a vet asap.

There is no way I can get to the vets before Saturday, and its an eye infection. He keeps rubbing his eyes and making it worse, and im worried that his paws are going to carry the infection if he keeps grooming himself

There is no way I can get to the vets before Saturday, and its an eye infection. He keeps rubbing his eyes and making it worse, and im worried that his paws are going to carry the infection if he keeps grooming himself

Why not? Is your vet all booked up or something? I would have to get one of mine in just to put my mind at rest.

Someone on here used one & bun got foot stuck in it trying to get it off. I got one from vets & bun had it off within 3 mins:roll:

buster collars should only be used on bunnies in extreme cases.
Bunnies are unable to eat properly and are unable to reach caecotrophs which is of upmost importance to any bunny.
The only time to put a collar on a bunny is when the pros outweigh the cons i.e. if the rabbit is not eating by itself anyway (and is therefore being syringe fed), you can put a collar on to stop it chewing its drip line - that kinda thing. I would not recommend putting a collar on a bunny that is eating as its a very quick way to an anorexic rabbit.

I would advise you get to a vet asap or can someone else take your rabbit for you? Eye infections can be nasty if left untreated - and you're right, it could be spread to the other eye via grooming

i will never ever use one on a rabbit ever again.

a vet gave peanut one and used bandage through the holes (where a dog would normally have a collar) and peanut managed to get the cone half off his head so the bandage went really tight and i woke up hearing this crashing sound and he was banging his head against the cage struggling to breathe.

i have heard so many nasty stories, the vet wanted to put one of him for his leg surgey and i refused point blank, i think there horrible :(:(

i will never ever use one on a rabbit ever again.

a vet gave peanut one and used bandage through the holes (where a dog would normally have a collar) and peanut managed to get the cone half off his head so the bandage went really tight and i woke up hearing this crashing sound and he was banging his head against the cage struggling to breathe.

i have heard so many nasty stories, the vet wanted to put one of him for his leg surgey and i refused point blank, i think there horrible :(:(

It is now bad practice for vets to do this with dogs and cats, they HAVE to weave the collar through the holes, so i don't see why it should be any different for buns!

are you bathing his eyes with warm salt water in the meantime? i would just continue to do this till you see the vet hun.

Yes I'm using the salt water on his eyes, and also a bit on his paws (My mum sais it should kill the infection)

Back