• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeder disuading advise

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
The girl I sit next to at work b/f has buns, and keeps having 'accidental litters' :? :censored:
Problem is (apart from that they are breeding at all) that she has had 2 litters since easter and a couple from a while ago. :shock: :(
She's very open to my breeder rants, but she says that he won't listen and wants to keep breeding because 'he likes the babies' She says she doesn't want him to do it anymore but somehow I don't think he's going to listen. :(Theyre moving in together in a couple of months time and apparantly theyre going to take the mum and 3 boys (2 from previous litters and the dad) I've tried educating her on hutchsize and neutering but as they are 'his' rabbits (except on of the babies) she doesn't feel there is much she can do. :?
All he seems to care about is the money (she was saying how please he was for how much he got from the petshop he sold the last litter to) and I feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall. :cry:
Is there anything you guys can think of I can say to get him to listen? Bearing in mind I have never met the guy and I only have what she says to go on, I really don't know what to do. :?

Are these guys in breeding? I know babies can have health issues if they are being in bred :(

Im not sure what to suggest sorry :cry: hopefully someone will come along wtih good advice soon..

Why don't you try and explain to the lady that when they move in together, that if he keeps breeding, that this will take up alot of her time and space in her house/flat, it might also be worth mentioning that if they are renting, they will need to be careful with the rabbits potentially chewing bits in the flat etc

Perhaps mention that she will have more responsibility of the rabbits once they have moved in together might make her see sense? say to her... do you think you will be able to keep giving up the babies once you have seen them grow up?

I know this is probably not any help, but that would be my way of dealing with it.

Try make her feel guilty about it, then she might talk to him. You could also hand out leaflets or something in the area, telling people not to buy from them, or to go to rescues?

Back