• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits....

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Can I fit in a 12' by 10' shed? I'm concentrating on that bit first - it's being put up in next couple of weeks.

I also have some avairy panels (although I will be ordering more, cos I forgot to buy DOORS!!:oops:) & I'm hoping to have a permanent run attached 4ft x12ft, down the front & a side one 10ft by 4ft, onto grass.

The problem I have is I can't visualise how big it is:oops: The group (8 buns) are going out there, & I was thinking it may be big enough for a pair aswell?:?

There will be extra levels inside - 2 layers of shelves (top one with a mesh bit to stop falls:)) & probably a couple of two tier hutches (with mesh removed).

I was gonna take the glass out - I have some mesh panels to put in the windows. And I'm gonna line the shed with bubble wrap (if I can stop popping it long enough!:oops:) & then plywood to stop chewing:)

If anyone has any ideas or pics that would be very helpful cos still a bit :?:?:?

I am hoping this will leave me room for my pole room. And my hot tub:lol:

I'd stick with 8 for now, although it sounds like a great setup and very big, larger groups increase the risks of tensions and fighting

I have a group of 5 and I think the dynamics are better! They have room to seperate themselves if they wish and other times they enjoy snuggling up!

I'd stick with 8 for now, although it sounds like a great setup and very big, larger groups increase the risks of tensions and fighting

:lol: Yeah - it's ok I'm sticking with 8 in the group - it used to be 13:) I just meant splitting into partitions - for an extra pair:)

They'd all get free range garden space too, when I'm in:)

And I meant extra pair of my own rabbits. Not an extra pair,pair. Or a puppy. You have to be so careful these days.:oops::)

I just meant splitting into partitions - for an extra pair:)

I was confused until you said this:oops: - my response was going to be that it depended on the bond, but now it makes more sense! Silly me!:roll::lol:

A 12' x 10' shed is quite big! What space do the 8 have now (I'm guessing inside)?

Tinsel & Chloaster are probably good people to ask about big groups in sheds :)

I was confused until you said this:oops: - my response was going to be that it depended on the bond, but now it makes more sense! Silly me!:roll::lol:

A 12' x 10' shed is quite big! What space do the 8 have now (I'm guessing inside)?

Tinsel & Chloaster are probably good people to ask about big groups in sheds :)

Erm - a room, then garden every evening:oops::lol::oops:

Sorry looks like I confused everyone:oops: Not changing anything bun-wise, just moving things around:)

Erm - a room, then garden every evening:oops::lol::oops:

I guessed a room!:lol: I meant what size?:roll::lol: For all I know you live in a mansion with huge rooms, in which case your group might be disapproving if they have only part of a shed!;)

I think it's going to be big enough!!

My summerhouse is 10ft by 8ft. I have 8ft by 4ft sectioned off at the back where my little nethie rescue lives, she has access to a 9ft by 6ft run via a catflap. I was going to take the pen out but she had to come back to me this weekend after being in a fabulous home for 3 months.

I just had to put a pen up at the front of the summerhouse so that the other two buns had their own exercise area. They have 8ft by 6ft inside the summerhouse and a pen directly outside that is about 10ft by 10ft.

I would imagine you could section your shed up in a similar way so that all buns had plenty of room! :)

I think it's going to be big enough!!

My summerhouse is 10ft by 8ft. I have 8ft by 4ft sectioned off at the back where my little nethie rescue lives, she has access to a 9ft by 6ft run via a catflap. I was going to take the pen out but she had to come back to me this weekend after being in a fabulous home for 3 months.

I just had to put a pen up at the front of the summerhouse so that the other two buns had their own exercise area. They have 8ft by 6ft inside the summerhouse and a pen directly outside that is about 10ft by 10ft.

I would imagine you could section your shed up in a similar way so that all buns had plenty of room! :)

Have you any pics?

I have a bunny assault course going on in my head, but I'm not sure how to do it:lol:

Ok... here we go

I like your idea of an assault course :lol: I still need to put up some shelves and levels for the three that are in there...at the moment they have to make do with cardboard boxes and storage boxes... :oops: Actually they like sleeping on top of storage boxes!!

I can't get a pic at the moment of the inside of pipers pen as it would mean opening the doors and the other two would be straight in there :roll: Normally they are out free ranging in the garden while I sort her pen out but my other rabbits are out there at the moment!
Still, at least you can get an idea of size, and yours will be bigger than mine!

summerhouse.jpg

summerhouse2.jpg

summerhouse1.jpg

summerhouse3.jpg

I can't get a pic of the whole thing including pen at front cos my house is sort of in the way :roll:

The tarpaulin around the bottom of the run is to try and stop the fighting :lol:

:lol:
If you are going to leave them out unsupervised obviously you would be better off using aviary panels so that you can have a roof on.

My summerhouse used to be great when I first got it.. It only had two buns in and was carpeted out and had electricity in! Now unfortunatley they have to use their fur coats and a couple of snugglesafes during winter because I can't afford to have the heaters on for them :(

I used to have a veranda too with hanging baskets! I had to take it all apart when I moved house so now it's just been basically put back together, but the inside isn't exactly right :roll:

Back