• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Different breeds and health issues

scatter

Alpha Buck
Does anybody have an article or list about which breeds are prone to which health issues, e.g. dental problems, etc. I only ask because I keep hearing conflicting views on this?

I have had several dwarf rabbits and dwarf lops (one of whom started having dental problems at 2, but lived until she was nearly 10).

I now have two lionheads and I'm just interested - so I can be prepared!!

I've not seen anything but I'd be very interested in finding out! My rabbit vet (who only treats cats and rabbits) says that he sees far more lops with ear and teeth problems due to the shape of their skull and different muscle tone, but that's not to say that an uppy-eared rabbit can't get the same problem.

:wave: Don't have any links, but when I was thinking about getting Cookie my Lionhead, I done a lot of reasearch about the breed on the internet first. Lionheads can apparently be prone to dental problems and epilepsy.

Nethies & dwarf/mini lops - think there are issues with teeth cos of the changed head shape

Rex/English spot - sore hocks - cos of the thin fur on their feet

Rex - mine had a heart problem - heard since that can be thanks to the breed

Giant buns - ear problems & if really big - flystrike/messy bums cos can't clean properly

REWs - blindness/poor sighted

Belguim hares - broken limbs

Angora/lionhead - matts etc from hair length - & possible messy buns/flystrike cos of extra hair

Most of the bunnies i see in my practice are lops/lionheads/netherland dwarfs with dental problems.

Obviously other breeds can/will get dental probs but the breeds i have mentioned above are by far the worse for dental probs - lops being top of that list!

I have had loads of problems with my giant bun.
I took him off someone who did not want him anymore (then traced him back to the breeder he came from).
He came to us with a bad eye infection, has had almost constant ear problems, 2 bouts of stasis and dental work done.
He is only 2 and a half years old. I have had him for 15 months.

Ahh, good to know, thanks mich. The only thing is he has a floppy right ear at the mo, so was wandering if harlequins had ear problems.

I have 3 buns who have ears that are sometimes floppy, sometimes uppy and sometime floppy and uppy.
So out of 8 buns at the moment, I have three who can never seem to make up their minds :lol::lol::lol:

I know that Rexes are prone to sore hocks.. I *think* MiniLops are too but not 100% on that.

That's not something I've ever heard of. Rexes are most prone to the condition because of the thin guard hairs on their feet, but mini lops shouldn't be any more prone to it than any other breed. :)

I had 2 satins that both had bad dental problems but that could have been down to bad breerer rather than the breed itself

My frenchie seemed more prone to tummy problems than other breeds. I had to watch what she ate but again that could have just been her :p

I have a netherland dwarf and so far her only 'problems' are that she doesn't seem to be able to clean her massive eyes as well as the other buns. She gets lose fur in them really easily (probably coz her eyes are sooo massive :lol: ) and I have to get a cotton bud and clean them daily or more. If I leave her long enough I know she gets it out but it can't be nice to have a blind spot because of a bit of fluff so I keep taking it out. No doubt this might lead to eye trouble, whether down to her eye shape or me cleaning them I cannot say but my vet reccommened I get the gunk out so I do. None of my other buns (a nethie x, a lionhead and a minilop) get this.

The vet has already said our minilop may get spurs as she thinks she has seen hints (this was recently so about 1 year old) even though she has a hay/veg/grass only diet and eats tons of hay.

Finally, the vet has said my nethie might also not have perfectly straight front teeth (I couldn't see the defect so hopefully its small) so this may need addressing if it causes problems in the future.

So far our lionhead (nearly 3) and our nethie x (over 1.5) has been given 100% at all vet checks :D The only correlation is that their the two 'normaliest' buns -i.e. uppy-earred, fairly small and close to the wild buns shape/size (despite Ozzy being white ;) haha)

Last edited:
Back