• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enough./Update..

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Beebee is at the vets today...for observation.
He sits in his cage...or out of it and does nothing.Mostly hes huddled..terrified.He may hop about,he may do little binkies...but all the time is that breathing thing..even when he eats.
The behaviour is totally different to Mrs Bun.Im worried he may be in some sort of pain but why I dont know.
He had a fall at 9 weeks.Hes had snuffles and a bad case of mites.Something is going on and Im worried.Maybe the vet thinks Im paranoid or just neurotic but I know something is wrong.
They are going to observe and take a good look at him and Im to ring at 2.30.
We all know when something is wrong with our pets, dont we??
He is 9 months old now....just gotta figure it out.

Last edited:
Hi Yvette,

Yes, you are right, you know when something is wrong. He has had a lot of problems already for such a young bun and I can completely understand your concern.

I am sure the vets think you are a brilliant bunny owner. They must prefer to have a caring owner than someone who doesn't bother.

Hope they can get to the bottom of it.

Alice x

Its so frustrating Alice.
Bunnies are inquisitive,they thump,they chew,Ive watched Mrs B....she has me in fits...But Beebee is nothing like this.Am I being neurotic?
He sits huddled...ears up I admit but thats not the total giveaway.

Just spoke to vets.She said hes teeth grinding....and hes got what she thinks is a fur ball in his tummy.Gonna treat him with liquid paraffin....Is this ok?????
then a continued treat of pineapple (which i tried but he didnt like it...)
I KNEW something was up.He eats well,drinks......
If this doesnt work then we will think again.......
what do you all think????

Liquid parrafin wouldn't be my vets first choice of treatment, I think they would probably suggest putting him on a drip to get lots of fluids into him to rehydrate the furball.

Saying that Anthony suffered from furballs and liquid paraffin worked in the end but only after he had tried all other options

I hope he is feeling better soon

My Vet would not use Liquid Paraffin without first giving at least 24 hours of intensive fluid therapy (SQ/IV) to ensure the ingesta is well hydrated.

Has an abdominal Xray/Ultrasound been done ?

Agree with Jane.

Fluid therapy to rehydrate in the first instance.

By giving liquid parafin in an already bunged up tum, I think it just makes more of a slimey blockage. More fluid to try and moisten the blockage first would be more beneficial I think.

The vet said the LP, then hes home and Im to continue giving an extract of pineapple then she will check again.The last resort is to operate.Im in tears now.

If you have worries about his treatment why don't you give them a ring back to discuss them. Maybe suggest giving him some fluids before he is allowed home and see what they say :)

Oh Yvette,

I am sorry you are so worried. I must admit LP would be a last resort in my experience. Maybe your vet has used it before with good results?

I do hope things work out.

Alice x

Just to let you all know,Beebee is doing really well.Hes loving the pineapple,(didnt want to syringe it..its not medicine and I want him to enjoy it so he will take it again and again), hes eating and drinking,investigating everything in the house/garden..(Im at o/h looking after Ruby Parrot,)....Ive never seen him so animated.
He must be feeling so much better already!!
Mrs Bun is also with me....shes loving it too,but not keen on the pineapple.Thats typical of her...
However,just a quickie question,how often should bunnies have pineapple?? Ive got pressed juice...not from concentrate.
Cheers.,xx

Back