• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Lydia Haemorrhaging From Hocks-U/D 16th August Post 44

Thanks everyone

We managed to stop the bleeding with pressure dressings. I really dont know what more I can do to manage this wretched condition. I have had numerous Rexes with hock problems but Lydia's are worse than anything I have ever seen before :cry:
I know I am going to loose her to this :cry: :cry:

Thanks everyone

We managed to stop the bleeding with pressure dressings. I really dont know what more I can do to manage this wretched condition. I have had numerous Rexes with hock problems but Lydia's are worse than anything I have ever seen before :cry:
I know I am going to loose her to this :cry: :cry:

Oh Jane it must be awful for you, what did the vet suggest?

At the moment Lyds is on abx and NSAIDS
We are leaving off all topical treatments as they are now making things worse :cry:

So are they bleeding because they are infected, i assume thats why shes on antibiotics? Do you think she gets worse everytime she stops the anitbiotics?

So are they bleeding because they are infected, i assume thats why shes on antibiotics? Do you think she gets worse everytime she stops the anitbiotics?

No they are not infected at this stage but whilst they are so open Christabel was concerned that infection could easily set in. Lyds has such thin skin over her hocks and one bleed point is almost down to bone :cry:

I have 'only' lost one Rex to this :censored: condition and infection set in whilst her hocks were no-where near as bad as Lydia's:cry: The infection went into the bone and tendon. As her other leg was OK an amputation was attempted. The Bun (Megan) got through the op' and did well for about 6 weeks. Then the wound began to break down and further surgery revealed that infection had spread into her hip. I had to let her go :cry: She was only 2.5 years old :cry:

:shock:Oh my god I'm sorry!! I never realised sore hocks could lead to something as awful as this. I only knew it was common in Rex (Jaki had sore hocks but cleared up as soon as I changed her bedding/cage stuff)

I hope she pulls through this sending loads of vibes and hugs for the both of you xx

Back