• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get another rabbit?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to get any more rabbits after Sugarplum and Splodge, I have had so many in the last few years and none of them have lived past the age of 5 for various reasons and it is just too heartbreaking and expensive, I'll be paying Sugarplum's vet fee's off until Christmas I think :?

However I keep looking at Splodge and although he is eating, he is refusing to come near me and won't come out of his shed and I feel so sorry for him, he's quite a timid rabbit and seems to really benefit from rabbit company. I know it is early days but he just seems like a different rabbit at the moment. I don't know what to do? :?

i know what you mean hun i really had high hopes for Ralph and Ted. but now Ralph's gone i'd still like to get ted a husbun. nothing will replace you sugarplum but they way i think of it i'm gonna give a happy forever home to antoher bun, although it may be only a short time at least i helped them. so i'm gonna enquire today about getting ted a husbun, she loved ralph even though they could not have full on contact but sat beside each other everyday.

It would be a shame to keep him alone if he is capable of bonding with another rabbit. At the same time I wouldn't want to advise you to take on another potential finacial burden whilst you're stiull paying off the last one.

I wonder whether any rescues would consider a longterm foster arrangment whereby you take in a rabbit that has been waiting for a home for a long time but the rescue continues to fund treatment in the same way they would if the rabbit was waiting for a home. They could maybe get sponsorship for vet bills?
I have no idea whether a rescue would find this acceptable or not :?

when single buns come in, they look so alone and sad, once they have been bonded, they are a totally different bun, they come and say hello and are just more confident. I would say get him a friend but you got to do what feels right for you.

Why don't you give yourself a bit of time to get your head together after all that has happened, and then if you still feel the same then could could have a look and see if there are any bunnies you may consider being a friend for splodge. There's no rush, besides splodge has still got to get used to the idea of being on his own and you never know you might see a few small changes in him given a bit of time.

I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to get any more rabbits after Sugarplum and Splodge, I have had so many in the last few years and none of them have lived past the age of 5 for various reasons and it is just too heartbreaking and expensive, I'll be paying Sugarplum's vet fee's off until Christmas I think :?

However I keep looking at Splodge and although he is eating, he is refusing to come near me and won't come out of his shed and I feel so sorry for him, he's quite a timid rabbit and seems to really benefit from rabbit company. I know it is early days but he just seems like a different rabbit at the moment. I don't know what to do? :?

I would give him at least 2 weeks to come to terms with what has happened. Then reassess the situation and if he still seems depressed maybe think about another bunny if you are able to take one on practically :)

Back