• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch size

naynay

Young Bun
I have 2 buns and until now they have been indoors cos they're still wee buns. Anyway i am putting them outside soon and have just put together a lazybones hutch and run combo. LB 305 hutch.. to me it looks too small now that it's up and outside in the garden ..the run is OK but the sleeping/eating quarters are worrying me.. so any advice on how to extend their new residence or shall i see how they go???
:wave:

I have 2 buns and until now they have been indoors cos they're still wee buns. Anyway i am putting them outside soon and have just put together a lazybones hutch and run combo. LB 305 hutch.. to me it looks too small now that it's up and outside in the garden ..the run is OK but the sleeping/eating quarters are worrying me.. so any advice on how to extend their new residence or shall i see how they go???
:wave:

The smallest you should put a pair of buns in is a 6x4x2' hutch. Idealy with a 6x4x2' attaching run.:)

I don't think it's big enough for them to ever be shut in just the hutch part. I would enclose most of the top so that it's sheltered from the weather.

so what do you think i should do..I cant take it back as it's been outside.. i could go and find a bigger one but then what would i do with this one..if only i had discovered bun forums before i bought it..and the pet shop should take some responsibility too.....:cry:

so what do you think i should do..I cant take it back as it's been outside.. i could go and find a bigger one but then what would i do with this one..if only i had discovered bun forums before i bought it..and the pet shop should take some responsibility too.....:cry:

Have you got a photo of the hutch? If you post one I'll have a look at how you could modify it.

Could you add a large permanent run to it? If they have continual access to a good sized area then they hutch part isn't so important.

havent got a photo:? but if you look up Lazybones Hutches it's the hutch sitting on top of the run. It looks a good size from the outside but when you look inside it seems so small. the sleeping room is less than 2' x 2'..more like 16".

The run is about 4' x 4' and I have another separate run on the grass. Maybe I'l try and sell this one and buy a bigger one... :roll:

havent got a photo:? but if you look up Lazybones Hutches it's the hutch sitting on top of the run. It looks a good size from the outside but when you look inside it seems so small. the sleeping room is less than 2' x 2'..more like 16".

The run is about 4' x 4' and I have another separate run on the grass. Maybe I'l try and sell this one and buy a bigger one... :roll:

I've just had a look at your setup and it isn't that bad. It is too small but if your new to keeping rabbits it's easy to make that mistake. The sleep box is ok. The smaller space should keep them warm. Try and both put your runs together and they should have plenty of room. Has the run got mesh on the floor or is it anchored to slabs or concrete? If not you will need to lock the rabbits up in the hutch over night and the hutch really isn't big enough for that. I think if you tweak what you've got you should be ok. Hope this helps.

Yes, try to increase the run area and turn the whole of the hutch into a sheltered area, either using some sort of clear plastic or just covering it up with some wood. The hutch just needs to be a place for them to shelter and hide. If you get another run you could also add a small hideaway shelter into the run just to give them somewhere else interesting to sit.

what i think I'll do is to put wood panels round some of the run so their is more shelter. I am also putting it on a wood base and then it will go onto the concrete. i have another run i could attach to it. now the area by the house on the concrete is not very big. Would it be OK to put it all on the grass permanently..too heavy to move around. Wont they have too much grass then....i thought you had to keep moving it to avoid parasites etc or am I worrying too much!!!!!:wave:

what i think I'll do is to put wood panels round some of the run so their is more shelter. I am also putting it on a wood base and then it will go onto the concrete. i have another run i could attach to it. now the area by the house on the concrete is not very big. Would it be OK to put it all on the grass permanently..too heavy to move around. Wont they have too much grass then....i thought you had to keep moving it to avoid parasites etc or am I worrying too much!!!!!:wave:

Have a look at the thread "my first sale" on page three there is a photo of a hutch the same as yours that has been extended. Rabbits can't have too much grass. take a look at the video link on my signature. I think it's good that you worry. it means you want to give them a good life.

I've just had a look at your setup and it isn't that bad. It is too small but if your new to keeping rabbits it's easy to make that mistake. The sleep box is ok. The smaller space should keep them warm. Try and both put your runs together and they should have plenty of room. Has the run got mesh on the floor or is it anchored to slabs or concrete? If not you will need to lock the rabbits up in the hutch over night and the hutch really isn't big enough for that. I think if you tweak what you've got you should be ok. Hope this helps.

Simon do you know what, you are truly the voice of reason...:D

I don't know which hutch this is but I would never totaly discount something as accommodation if it can be modified.

IMO so long as the rabbits have enough all weather space that is secure, with an attached run then that works. So if the accommodation is a hutch/run combo with the hutch being too small, then I'd cover in the run making it more like part of the all weather hutch and just add another run.

Helen :D

Simon do you know what, you are truly the voice of reason...:D

I don't know which hutch this is but I would never totaly discount something as accommodation if it can be modified.

IMO so long as the rabbits have enough all weather space that is secure, with an attached run then that works. So if the accommodation is a hutch/run combo with the hutch being too small, then I'd cover in the run making it more like part of the all weather hutch and just add another run.

Helen :D

Thanks helen.

if i put all this on the grass, will the slugs annoy the buns and will they dig their way out. The concrete at the back of the house is OK..bit of weeds and cracks in it... but wont buns get sore from being on it all the time..partly why i was going to put a plywood base onto it. Also what about damp and cold etc... thought of raising it off the ground on some bricks. But then i guess they go inside their shelter..... i could just put something on the concrete in the bit under the hutch..... :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Last edited:
It's important that the hutch is kept off the ground, but don't worry about the run. I have grass in my run but I laid mesh underneath the run to stop them digging out. Concrete would also be fine, they are fine running around on it, it's only really a worry if your bunnies have problems with their feet, I think some breeds like Rex have sensitive feet but most will be fine. It will even help keep their nails short.

If you have the space you could buy another set up the same and attach them. Board up the ramp hole in one so they have a nice long area of living space. Then take out one section of the runs so you have one big one.

Or, as you have another run, attach them and then get another small hutch/hidey house to put at the other end of the run so they have 2 houses.

I went through various processes like this when I first got mine. Spent a bloomin fortune trying to get it right! :lol:

good thing I'm not into shopping for clothes etc... I have another old hutch..a smaller one which i thought of putting inside the run for extra room space. Changing rooms for buns eh!!!! good though. The other run i have is slightly wider and a fraction taller. i'm not worried about the height bit but trying to think how to attach them at the sides..not being a carpenter or anything. Any ideas.. and in the winter when it rains and is cold..do you put tarpaulin over it all or just let them get on with it? Or let them play indoors...;)

Last edited:
Back