• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not a boy!

Hopsy

New Kit
Hiya,
this is my first visit/post so Im not sure if this is in the right section-sorry if it isnt.

2 weeks ago I got a lovely little bunny, Hopsy. He is 11 weeks old and is very cute and laid back. I read that rabbits like company so decide to get a 2nd rabbit of the same age so they could bond and grow up together.
I saw a local ad so went along and picked a super hairy male, Rugrat. After some initial chasing, by Rugrat the two seem to be getting on although Hopsy is still a little shy of Rugrat when they are out together. They still sleep in seperate cages overnight but they sit next to each other through the bars.

Anyway, I have had Rugrat 4 days now and today I took him for his myxi jab and a general health check and found out Ruggy is a girl!
So what do I do now? As they are house rabbits they arent left alone lose together and Im guessing they are still too young to get jiggy but I am now extra vigilant.
The woman I got Ruggy from seems unwilling to take her back and i dont really want to anyway especially as they seem to be bonding now but im worried that when they are neutered it will destroy their friendship but obviously it needs to be done as i dont want to add to an already huge problem.

Sorry for waffling on but im annoyed at the woman i got Rug from and i dont know what to do now???? Do i find a new home for Ruggy before they get more attached or do i keep them seperate for the next couple of months then start from scratch. I only have the one outside run.

I *think* you need to keep them separate until you can get them both neutered as the boy in particular, will be able to 'get jiggy' from around 12 weeks old. You should be able to get the little fella done first and then the girlie once she's old enough. You'll need to keep the boy away from the girl until at least 6 weeks after he's been 'done'. I'd let them sit next to each other through the bars of their enclosures until they're safely neutered and then it should be fairly easy to bond them as a couple in a few months time. Neutering doesn't normally change their characters in a bad way but it does remove all hormonal aggression and other unsavoury traits (as well as unwanted litters).

I agree with the above plus they may have done you a favour getting it wrong as a male/female pairing is the best as far as ease of bondings go. :wave:

Good luck with the next few weeks, it will really be worth it once they have both been neutered and are living happily together.

Thanks for the help :) I think just my main concern is that they will smell different on return from the vets and that they will be seperated for quite a while (whilst at the vets I mean) but if it prevents more homeless rabbits we shall sit it out and hopefully they will soon be pottering about like an old married couple! :D

Back