• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which size hutch??

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
need a new double hutch for the rescues ...

it needs to be suitable for mum and babies if needed and also for larger than average bunnies ...as the hutches i have here so far arnt big enough ..

our biggest hutch now is a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft ..

so ....

do i go for a 6 ft with extra depth ...perhaps 6ft x 2.5ft x 2 ft

or

a 7 ft x 2 ft x 2ft ..

:? :?

I think extra depth. I have some 4 ft by 3ft by 2ft hutches ( with runs attached) and the extra depth make such a difference :)

Definitely extra depth, we have the 6ft x 3ft x 2.5 hutches here and we can get two conti giants or French Lops in with loads of room to spare for boarding if they have plenty of run access. We've also had a group of 4 small/medium rabbits in one and the extra depth is better fro the giants to be able to stretch out in, have found in a 2ft they sometimes cant go full stretch.

6'x2.5' actually gives you 1 square foot more floor area than 7'x2'. It's surprising how much 6" extra width can add. It does mean it sticks out 6" more though so do you have room for that? Don't want to knock your shoulder every time you go past!

Agree with everyone else...definitely extra depth.

I had this dilemma when getting new hutches for the garage. I unfortunately went for extra width because i wasn't sure if I'd be able to reach to the back of a high hutch, but in hindsight this would only be a problem with a triple decker hutch

Agree with everyone else...definitely extra depth.

I had this dilemma when getting new hutches for the garage. I unfortunately went for extra width because i wasn't sure if I'd be able to reach to the back of a high hutch, but in hindsight this would only be a problem with a triple decker hutch

Ours are triple decker and we just use one of those little step stools to reach to the back of the top layer ones - or hubby climbs inside:lol:

Happy hutch made one of my deeper hutches although I wasn't at all impressed with their service. Its a shame you are not closer I have found an excellent hutch maker near by and he does a very reduced rate for rescues. I am having another on of his delivered this weekend :)

I wonder how much it would cost to hire a van as I know Steve would be happy to drive them up and deliver them to you :?

when building a hutch there are 2 things I consider when it comes to how big I make them. the first is will it fit through a door, most doors are 2and a bit foot wide and not every one has a large back gate. the second is will it fit into a transit sised van.

Back