• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with dental bunnies

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
How do you know when your bunny needs a dental (without having a vet look at them) what are the usual signs before that? Would choosing to eat gras over pellets and their usual favourite carrot, or being aggro with bonded rabbits? what about trying to chew wood more, like on teh side of sheds etc...?

Bugs has a wet face, seems less interested in food, eats slowly and seems really quiet when he needs a dental :wave:

I now have two dental buns... oh the joy :lol:
Both find it harder to eat and take their time. Pickle seems less perky and hunches up slightly.

Teddy has bad dental problems, the first thing that makes me suspicious are actually the noises he makes. It's like I can hear when he tooth purrs that they are overgrown. He sleeps in my bedroom so it makes it easier to know.

Also, I never wait until they start showing clinical signs, like drooling or stopping eating etc if they have dental disease, as by the time they start showing clinical signs like this they are already doing further damage to their mouth. I take mine every 6 weeks to be checked, if they need to go sooner then they do. :)

hmm..shes tucking into spring greens, bet her ususal fave carrot and pellets she is ignoring, can't decied wether to take her to the vet on not, maybe she just decided she didnt like the other rabbit and there is nothing wrong with her! hmmmmmmmmm.....

Twinkle starts chewing everything, Basil eats slowly, Martha stops eating and Sooty my daughters rabbit continually washes because of his drooling. They all go for regular check ups - and Sooty has his front teeth done every 4 - 5 weeks.:roll:

well she is chewing evveryythinggg! I think i will take her, theres no harm in getting them to look, and it would explain a lot of things i suppose..

she has lost a little weight...but i thought that was down to me feeding a little less as so has another of my buns..ahh this is so confusing..the vet said is 'it isnt a significant amount of weightloss'

Flynn fights and fights his dentals until he is a complete mess.

He loses condition one day (staring fur/dull eyes) next day soaked mouth and reluctant to eat. It all happens very quickly.

As everyone has said, it varies from rabbit to rabbit. My dental rabbits have shown one or more of the following signs:

-Not eating at all
-Only eating certain foods
-Drooling/wet chin
-'Chewing gum' face (i.e. chewing on nothing)

As everyone has said, it varies from rabbit to rabbit. My dental rabbits have shown one or more of the following signs:

-Not eating at all
-Only eating certain foods
-Drooling/wet chin
-'Chewing gum' face (i.e. chewing on nothing)

This made me chuckle, she definitely hasn't got this!

As well as the above, they can throw their head back slightly or show no sign at all until it is urgent!:roll:

I take Homer every 4 weeks so I don't get to an emergency stage, I have tried 5 weeks but that is too long for him.

Catkin does the 'chewing gum' face :lol: He also sucks in/spits out his greens like one of those carpark pay meter thingys when it is rejecting your ticket....:roll:

Back