• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sore hocks

cazh

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

Can i ask a quick question - would sore hocks make a rabbit seem poorly? My poor rabbit George (again!!) is having an episode of acting really quiet/lying down lots/not wanting to move tonight. I've checked him over and he has a slight sore of his back foot - probably caused by the carpet we have in the dining room. How are these usually cured? I called the vet and he said to give a bit of metacam and bring him in for a check up tomorrow. What usually clears up sores - do you think he'll need antibiotics?

I have a bun battling with sore hocks but its not too serious, i managed to catch it in time :)

She didnt look or act poorly though, she was her normal self! Going to the vet is the best idea, it could be anything.

I had to change Fudges cage and she is now bedded on thick straw and hay instead of her blankets and when she gets to run around i lay her blankets over the carpet to stop carpet burn:) I also clean her out everyday and do litter trays twice a day :)

Some days it looks worse than it actually is but then looks better the next day, the skin isnt broken just furless red and its dry. I put savlon on but she kept trying to lick it off so stoped and its getting better VERY slowly.

Good luck at the vets and keep us updated :wave:

It doesn't seem to be effecting Gabriel at all but I reckon that if the are very very bad that yes they can. Just imagine having sore blisters on the base of your feet.. I know I would feel down!

hmm it's not that bad, just a really small red sore. I've not noticed it before and I pick him up every day and see his feet. He seems to have picked up a bit now he is just sitting in a peculiar way and hobbling a bit. Our rug in the dining room is quite rough - good job we're getting a new one soon! :)

I'll try putting some finer hay down in the cage. He's going to a good vet tomorrow who will hopefully give him something for them, poor little man. It's come on overnight it seems as he was fine yesterday!!

Yeah he's eating fine. I've just noticed that he's got a second one developing on his other foot too :(

Back