• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm So Worried About Gabriel U/D PICS ADDED

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
I don't want this to seem to be attention seeking but I am so worried about his chances of finding a home.
He is only 7 weeks old and already he has sore hocks which seem to be getting worse and worse within a period of a week.
He is such a darling bunny and I just pray that someone will look past his red eyes and has experience about his hocks.. but who does?
I am going to book an appt. at the vets for his hocks soon - all the babies are bedded on deep hay and this is changed wither daily or every other day WITHOUT FAIL.
I haven't posted in Health as I don't need any advice at the moment - just a thread to let some steam out about how worried I am for him about his future.
:cry:

Last edited:
I have a REW with sore hocks and we love her to pieces :love: I am sure there must be a wonderful home out there for him somewhere, but I can appreciate how worried you must be

My bunny had sore hocks for ages( which didnt bother her at all!!) and I changed the bedding from sawdust to hay but that didn't work as she just ate the hay and her hocks were still sore then my cousin (kermit) gave me her method of using towels and plastic mat things and her hocks have never been better, not sore at all now!! You should maybe try changing her bedding all together?! x

There is always someone willing :D

My little Bobbi also has a touch of sore hocks but seen as I've only had her a week I'm hoping it may clear up a bit. What, if anything are you doing with his feeties at the mo?

Poor soul..

Has he had his hips or spine checked, just to make sure he doesn't have any problems that may effect how he is sitting on his feet.

I'm sure someone will love him :)

I don't know... none of the other babies have it and neither does Angel (their mother who is a REW)
I haven't put any Manuka honey on his hocks as Liz suggested he is too young and it' too sugary if he licks it off so am waiting for my vet's advice. (He's wonderful :love:)
I am worried because at only 7 weeks old they have got so bad and none of the other babies have it so I'm thinking..... I've changed their enviroment to thick hay and still they are getting worse... I'm just so paranoid that hearing what other owners have to deal with.... especially with PB's sore hocks.
All the owners who deal with their buns sore hocks have dealt with it because it occured while they were with them.. but will someoe seriously adopt him if they know that it's going to be such an ongoing battle...especially as they are so bad and he is oh so young :cry:

I need to see piccys of this bunny, I'm sure he is gorgeous and it will cheer me up :) Then maybe someone will see him and fall in love :love:

I need to see piccys of this bunny, I'm sure he is gorgeous and it will cheer me up :) Then maybe someone will see him and fall in love :love:

Am taking pictures now.
He is such a beautiful rabbit I'm sure someone will have to fall in love with him.. but I don't know if they will have the experience/time with his hocks..

Am taking pictures now.
He is such a beautiful rabbit I'm sure someone will have to fall in love with him.. but I don't know if they will have the experience/time with his hocks..

It is time consuming but they don't necessarily have to have experience, just be very willing to learn as they go along, thats the way we got experienced :)

I'm sure he will find a lovely home. Wesley my REW had sore hocks a few months back which have healed up now. :) So there is plenty of hope for Gabriel. :)

Thanks for that HurricanHoney.
I am feeling A LOT better now.
Let's hope that whatever Damian suggests makes them a lot better for them.
Unfortuantely my camera hasn't got any batt in it (put it on charge but forgot to flick the switch :oops:)
Might have to wait a few mins.
Liz - do you think Sudocream would be okay?
I was thinking - as there is a chance he could groom them off should I bandage them?

Thanks for that HurricanHoney.
I am feeling A LOT better now.
Let's hope that whatever Damian suggests makes them a lot better for them.
Unfortuantely my camera hasn't got any batt in it (put it on charge but forgot to flick the switch :oops:)
Might have to wait a few mins.
Liz - do you think Sudocream would be okay?
I was thinking - as there is a chance he could groom them off should I bandage them?

:roll: Not good enough :lol:

TBH because they are so young I would check with the vet before applying anything :) Bandaging would obviously prevent them licking anything applied but you need to be 100% sure there is no infection first as covering up an active infection could do a lot of harm.

I'm sure you could have a telephone consult with the vet to see what is suitable before you actually take him in to be checked :)

:roll: Not good enough :lol:

TBH because they are so young I would check with the vet before applying anything :) Bandaging would obviously prevent them licking anything applied but you need to be 100% sure there is no infection first as covering up an active infection could do a lot of harm.

I'm sure you could have a telephone consult with the vet to see what is suitable before you actually take him in to be checked :)
I wasn't going to apply anything anywayuntil I saw the vet but was thinking ... I know bandaging should be a last resort but as it would prevent them licking it off..especially as they are so young?

Thanks for you advice Liz x x x x x

I wasn't going to apply anything anywayuntil I saw the vet but was thinking ... I know bandaging should be a last resort but as it would prevent them licking it off..especially as they are so young?

No problems :wave: (still want pics though :lol: )

I have spent 6 months bandaging Moses sore hocks daily and they have now completely regrown the fur. He is disabled so I didn't think they would heal, I just didn't want them to get worse, but we are delighted that they have. We know there will be relapses as we can't do anything about the cause, but hopefully we can stay on top of it. He is 8 years old and it must have been going on for some time before he came here, so if his can heal.......:)

Maybe you could put some little socks on them just for an hour or so until the cream has soaked in, once the vet has told you what is safe to use :)

Awwww Gab :love::love::love:

I would have you in a heart beat, sore hocks or no sore hocks your wonderful :love::love: You would be the perfect little man for my Fudgie bear as she is battling sore hocks at the minute and they seem to be getting better :) I would LOVE a REW and having sore hocks wouldnt put me off.

But im not allowed anymore bunnies at the minute, I really do wish i could have you, i keep talking to the parentals but im not getting anywhere and they are under stress with their new business etc so i dont want to put added stress on :(

If its ment to be i will find my way to you little Angel, if not your forever home is waiting for you. Sending millions of vibes for a forever home and a full hock recovery :love::love::love::love:

I Loves you Gabriel xxxx

Awwww Gab :love::love::love:

I would have you in a heart beat, sore hocks or no sore hocks your wonderful :love::love: You would be the perfect little man for my Fudgie bear as she is battling sore hocks at the minute and they seem to be getting better :) I would LOVE a REW and having sore hocks wouldnt put me off.

But im not allowed anymore bunnies at the minute, I really do wish i could have you, i keep talking to the parentals but im not getting anywhere and they are under stress with their new business etc so i dont want to put added stress on :(

If its ment to be i will find my way to you little Angel, if not your forever home is waiting for you. Sending millions of vibes for a forever home and a full hock recovery :love::love::love::love:

I Loves you Gabriel xxxx

:cry: That has made me burst out in tears... Dad and Brother are looking at me now :lol:

Have taken some pictures of him... just uploading.

Back