• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday Housing Solution

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I could post this in housing, but i figured i'd get a better response here....

As you may know, i am a vet student and live, during term time, in a bungalow with 3 other vet students. The rabbits have a wendy house and run for the summer, and are indoors for the winter (wusses dont like the wet!). But during the holidays i take them home with me to Gloucestershire while i am on my placements, and my parents take care of them as and when i am not home.

Last winter they lived in my dad's office (converted garage) in the largest zooplus metal run, but mum decided to move her computer in there as well, so now they are in my bedroom in a dog crate, with free ranging in my room during the day (babygate across the door).

Today, after about the 5th row over rabbits and where the live and how much mess they make, i was wondering if there is anything else i can do or any other way to house them?

They cant go outside in the winter because they are indoors during term time, but we could get a hutch and run for the garden for summer, but i am broke so it would have to be my parents money. there is nowhere else inside the house i can put them.

Any suggestions?

Can you attach some puppy panels to the dog crate to make a contained 'run' within your room? At least then, any mess will be confined to one area. Not ideal when they've been used to the whole room but if a compromise is going to mean your parents are happy to have them then surely it's got to be worth it? They are messy little blighters though aren't they? When Flora and Parsnip lived indoors last winter, I felt like 'no outfit was complete without a strand or two of hay attached':lol::lol: Hay and bobbles get EVERYWHERE :roll::lol:

Not got any ideas sorry but if your guys ever need a room over the holidays they are more than welcome here :) Our zoo live in the garage and two of our housemates go home every holiday whereas me and Sarah stay for work so we could replace them with more rabbits temporarily :lol::lol:

We took the zoo up north to my family for a week and the rabbits are not welcome back :oops: we don't have anything for them to live in so they had a room to themselves and completely destroyed it :oops: :lol: Can't help :love::love: them though hehe:lol:

Thanks for the suggestions - judging by the number of views vs posts i reckon there isnt really any workable solutions. I could put a pen around the crate but to be honest, its such a small room that it wouldnt be worth it, and the only think they have chewed are my shoes (not an old pair or anything! :roll:).

Sam_Spice thanks for the offer, i'll definately keep it in mind, especially if i have to go away for any period. i do have some local friends that look after them when we all go away (they live in their shed - nicknamed Bunmoral! :lol:) but i am trying to minimise how long my parents have to "suffer" them! ah well, keep trying.....

haha sounds like you have the right idea! Think I need to start finding new friends with rabbit housing criteria on the list ;) :lol: I have some friends who are allergic to the animals so annoyingly they've got a good excuse hehe x

Back