• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

George, who will be coming to live with us next month.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Just got sent these piccies of George, who will be coming to stay with us, assuming nothing changes in his owner's plans.
ebay712.jpg

ebay713.jpg

:love: He is lovely. What's his story? Just asking because he looks in too good condition to be a cruelty case - and I'm nosey :lol:

He's not a cruelty case :D, he has a disease which lowers his immune system and can affect feather and beak growth- although he is doing very well at the moment.
The disease is quite infectious so nobody with parrots will take him, and he was facing being PTS, his owner can no longer keep him due to ill health.
We're excited and scared about him coming, as the stress may trigger his disease, but there are no other alternatives.

He does look good, especially when you see pictures of how ill these affected birds can look. He apparently swears and then says, 'that's a bad word', and if he sees you eating something he likes the look of says' here we go!'. He can also undo his cage and go walkabout, but can't fly!

I have wondered that, but as far as I'm aware he has no other problems. From the reading I've been doing, some say there is no link between red feathering and liver disease, but it is the internet and there are so many contradictory things said.

I think it may be the illness as the wing feathers are also deformed, but will wait and see what he looks like when he arrives. I would assume if the liver is causing his feathers to go red he would also be jaundiced, but that's just me thinking it, no info on it at all.

If you have any experience at all, let me know.:wave:

Pretty sure that the red feathers *Can* be a liver prob, they dont as far as im aware go jaundice.

I would get some insurance just incase and then get liver tested

However just to contradict everything i have just said there is a "red "factor african grey.................... which is all red???:roll:

I have no personal knowledge of this just what i have read... The other forum can probably help more

He is a cutie thou:love:

I doubt if I will get insurance as he already has PBFD. I will ask his owner if he has always been that colour, either way, I'll wait until he settles and make sure we have no problems with stress before taking him to the vet.
Once he arrives I will be asking lots of questions on the other forum.

Find out if he was handreared?? If he was and it was not done with the correct food or his diet has been bad that can cause an enlarged liver.....leading to coloured feathers.

Also he could have come from red factor ancestors........... so it would be normal.

I would still try and get insurance. Mention that he has PBFD They can get other stuff that will be covered. If he cant fly his balance my be off (as is Lola's) and he could break his beak. Still very expensive if not insured.

Did he not have a friend, i thought that there were two of them

Bet you cant wait!!

His friend is clear of PBFD, so the owner is trying to rehome her elsewhere. They didn't live in the same room, they could see each other through a glass partition though, so I hope he doesn't miss her too much.

Thanks for the advice about insurance. Who will insure birds, I will get in touch with them when he arrives.:D

I use Golden Valley they are very good.

Lola plucks so she is not covered for that but is for everything else.

Its a shame about his friend, he may well miss them for a while, as long as he gets lots of attention from you he should be ok

Back