• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxomatosis

Tink82

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I was directed to this forum by a member of one I normally use for extra advice.

I have a 6 month old male lionhead how, under the advice of a vet, has not had his moxi jab. He is a house rabbit

Last Friday his eyes swelled up, by sunday his fur started to fall out and he has the snuffles, he has got no better but no worse until today when his snuffling got worse. He is eating and still seems well enough to run from me when I need to give him medicines.

He has had another antibiotic jab today and is on metacam and another one I can't remember (sorry) plus eye drops.

I have been given some good advice at the other forum but wanted to see if there is anyone out there who may know more?? Absoloutly anything at this stage would be very much apreciated

Thanks,
Tink & Pepsi

Hi there

Sorry to hear your bunny is so poorly, has your vet's suggested what could be wrong?

Is this the same vet's who advised against having a myxomatosis vaccination? If so I would suggest finding a new rabbit savvy vets, as all bunnies indoors or outdoors should have the myxo one, obviously not while he is poorly.

Are you worried it could be myxomatosis?

Poor Bun. I have a snuffly bun at the moment too and it is very upsetting.

Has the vet actually said that your bun has myxomatosis...

When he has been examined has he had his chest listened to.. if this is the vet who advised against vaccination I strongly suggest you find another. If you are comfortable to disclose the area you are living in I'm sure a member on here can point you in the direction of a good rabbit savvy vet.

If you go back through the forum, there are a few threads from people in the similar situation.

The main thing is providing supportive care. So the antibiotics are to ward of or treat secondary infections. If he has gunky eyes then bath these regularly with cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt (saline). You can also wipe the nose if this gets clogged. Sometimes a steamy room can help clear the gunk too if the snuffles are quite bad.

Keeping your bun eating well is important so providing favourite foods and having things on hand to tempt him just in case. A propbiotic can also help keep the gut bacteria working well.

You are looking at a 4-6 week period for recovery and unfortunately it's not guaranteed. Rabbits may go down hill gradually.

Unless there was a medical reason for advising against a myxi jab I would write to the practice manager explaining the advice you were given and the position it has put you in. Myxi is spread by biting insects such as mossy's and fleas so being inside may reduce the risk but doesn't negate it. If it was me I'd be suggesting they pick up the cost of treatment.

Good luck with your bun, I hope he improves soon :)

thats good to hear. I always thought that it was terminal. I hope your bun gets better soon Tink.

Thanks for the replies :)

yes the vet has diagnosed it, he has a swollen bottom too and no it is a different vet but same practice so I shall be writing when I get time.

He did have his chest listened too at each visit, she said it is clear which is good! there is no discharge from the eyes or nose so nothing to wipe. It would be easier if it was wipable. He is eating and drinking ok and is walking around trying to find trouble.

Someone has advised a little glucose so I'll give it a go, anything is worth a try! I shall take a look at the link

Thanks you :love:

Back