• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tactless vets

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you may have read on Rainbow Bridge, I found Sooty had passed away in the night sometime.

After discussion with the family, we decided we would like her cremated and to scatter her ashes. She never had a hutch, hated being confined anywhere, so we wanted her to be scattered so she would be free to roam :D

Phoned the vets, they quoted us £31.00 for an individual cremation with the ashes back in a scatter pot.

We took Sooty over at 10.15am. We went to pay and the receptionist said it would be £31.00. She then said it might actually be more "due to Sootys weight". We had to stand to one side, in a waiting room full, while she went to "ask someone else how much it would be" :evil:

She came back, with the nurse, and we had at that time been standing there for 10 minutes. The nurse called us over and said it would be £52.00!

I was so angry at having been told a certain price and then left standing there I argued about the price in front of a packed waiting room.

The nurse went off again to ask someone else and came back and charged me the £31.00.

It wasn't the money issue that annoyed me the most but the total lack of sensitivity. I only lost my baby a few hours ago.

So sorry hun :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I have to be honest that is cheap, it costs me £120 for each of mine and it's the same price to open a box and put another rabbit in with it (ie the original bonded partner)

I'm so sorry you had to go through that :cry: I didn't realise it was based on weight with rabbits, I thought a rabbit was a rabbit. I agree with Tree that either price seems very reasonable but it is certainly not something you want to be arguing about at this sad time :(

Oh no I wasn't moaning about the price as such, just the way we had to hang around while they bartered about the cost.

The problem seems to be that the receptionist was pricing up as a small animal, which must mean hamsters etc and not rabbits. I would have accepted the price difference if they had taken us on one side and explained it to us discretely.

Maybe I was being too sensitive :oops:

Thats a shame that they were like that.

I paid £80 to get Kermit cremated individually....then they spelled his name wrong on the box when i got him back! I was so upset and the woman in the vets wasnt that understanding.

At least we can all come to RU for some understanding when these things happen!

I am very sorry for your loss and I'm sorry that you had to go through that experience. I understand why you were upset.

Vera

PS. I just had two bunnies individually cremated... £133 each...

Thats terrible, ours invoice after you have left.

Yes Lucy, This is what ours does. My old one used to do exactly the same as yours Kate even after they had pts :cry:

Disgraceful, big hugs to you and I am sorry to hear of Sooty xx

Binky free Sooty xx

Back