• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Sugarplum ill this morrning: she's gone

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Help with Sugarplum. I have just opened the shed to let them out this morning and Sugarplum is breathing really noisily, nose in the air and spluttering! I am obviously going to get her to the vets as soon as I can get through but I wanted some advice.

Could she have pasturella when she hasn't shown any symptoms before, can it come on that suddenly?

If she has full blown pasturella (which maybe likely as she was in contact with Caramel who died from it last year) bearing her other problems in mind (she has no use of her back legs, incontinent, is fairly blind and deaf and toothless) would you treat her or PTS? She is only 3 :cry: What is the prognosis?

Last edited:
Help with Sugarplum. I have just opened the shed to let them out this morning and Sugarplum is breathing really noisily, nose in the air and spluttering! I am obviously going to get her to the vets as soon as I can get through but I wanted some advice.

Could she have pasturella when she hasn't shown any symptoms before, can it come on that suddenly?

If she has full blown pasturella (which maybe likely as she was in contact with Caramel who died from it last year) bearing her other problems in mind (she has no use of her back legs, incontinent, is fairly blind and deaf and toothless) would you treat her or PTS? She is only 3 :cry: What is the prognosis?

Firstly she needs to get to a Vet NOW

If it is an acute Pneumonia then it is possible that a strain Pasteurella is the bacteria involved, but really now is not the time to be debating that.
I'd get her off to the Vet STAT

Good luck and please keep us posted

thanks I just got through and it is the **** vet on who I try not to let anywhere near my rabbits :cry:

Good luck with Sugarplum today, I really hope the vets can help her feel better.

I will wait to hear how she got on today before I reply to your email :wave:

I think I slightly panicked this morning she is not as bad as first appeared. She is going to the vets at 11.20 and unfortunately it's still the vet I am not keen on. She is snuffly but is quite happily lying on the grass munching away!

I also thought she was having a fit earlier then i realised I had put her down on the wrong side and she was struggling turn herself over :oops:

So at the moment she is out on the grass nibbling away and i will let you all know what the vet says later, thanks for all your concern I am a panicky bunny mummy :oops:

I think I slightly panicked this morning she is not as bad as first appeared. She is going to the vets at 11.20 and unfortunately it's still the vet I am not keen on. She is snuffly but is quite happily lying on the grass munching away!

I also thought she was having a fit earlier then i realised I had put her down on the wrong side and she was struggling turn herself over :oops:

So at the moment she is out on the grass nibbling away and i will let you all know what the vet says later, thanks for all your concern I am a panicky bunny mummy :oops:

So relieved it is not as bad as you first thought, please let us know how you get on at the vets :)

Back