• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wrong for me to worry?

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
We are going on holiday for 10 days and will be leaving the bunnies at home. the in-laws will be popping in each day to check on them but I can't help but worry. Is this just me?

I would be worried as bunnies develop problems and go downhill so quickly and your in laws may not be able to detect the problem, or they may not even be around when it happens, if they are only coming once or twice a day. To be honest, i wouldn't be comfortable in that situation. Have you thought about boarding? Where are you in the country?

I am sending mine to Kayj's (bunnyhophotel) for a week in september. That way i know they will be fully looked after and insured the whole time. I also know that if one of them develops an illness it will be detected and dealt with ASAP. Prices are very reasonable too - definitely worth it for peace of mind and knowing the bunnies are in safe hands.

Please don't leave them alone for that long, they need much more supervision than once or twice a day. If boarding is not an option couldn't they go and stay with your in laws during this time? X

East Sussex

3 rabbits, though 1 has had to be separated due to fighting.

We have thought of boarding though my wife is happier with someone we know looking after them. We had the vet check them over yesterday to make sure there were no illnesses.

We have left strict instructions and told them to be on the look out for anything suspicious.

Just want to go and enjoy my honeymoon without worry.:(

Many people who own them only check on them a couple of times I day :(, so I do doubt there would be much difference than 80% of the rabbits in this country. To be perfectly honest if I didn't have a live in lodger I would be in the same situation as you. I would find boarding if you can, but I would imagine they may be all fully booked now.

Many people who own them only check on them a couple of times I day :(, so I do doubt there would be much difference than 80% of the rabbits in this country. To be perfectly honest if I didn't have a live in lodger I would be in the same situation as you. I would find boarding if you can, but I would imagine they may be all fully booked now.

I'm fully aware that its not an ideal situation, but the in-laws can't have them as they have cats, my dad hasn't got space and has no clue how to look after rabbits (apart from in a cooking pot). Boarding is a no-go as my wife gets even more worried about them being looked after by someone we don't know and we have heard some stories....

They are all in good health and will get attention and we will be ringing up to see how they are. Plus I have asked my nan to pop in and my dad so they will be checked up upon regularly and my inlaws will be in twice a day to cuddle and change their food and water and such.

I think we have taken as many precautions as we can, and whilst I know bunnies can go down hill quickly but that could happen when we were at work or anytime. There is no reason for them to go downhill as the vet has given them the all clear.

Even in a boarding home I doubt they are watched 24/7 with all the other bunnies in the home.

If you was local to me I would have offered to look after them for you, but I am in essex.. Sorry I can't help.

Have you not a friend who could could at least stay at your place for a couple of the days, provided them with some food and they may say yes? It might put your mind a rest, though still not a great solution.

Ask your vets if they know of anybody (boarders or volunteers) that may help?

Yeah I am work 12 hours a day and I also sleep at night, so really my rabbits get left for long periods, that said my lodger is home a lot as he goes to college and my bloke gets home before me. If you had already decided what you wanted to do there wasn't much point in the thread was there :lol:, all you have achieved is to make yourself more anxious.

hmmm

i dont mean to worry you but it doesnt matter if they are all in good health, stasis can occur so quickly and for no reason.

I had someone come to me for boarding 3 times in a year, then the next time, they had the nieghbour pop in, as they had a very cheap holiday and boarding costs would have made it more expensive etc. Unfortnatly Flopper got gut stasis and by the time the neighbour came in again she was vyer dehydrated and unfortnatly passed away. now im sure there are LOTS of people who do this and its fine, but what concerns me is stasis more than anything.

At a boarding place they will always be watched, here i go out 8am for breakfast, 8:30 am for out in the runs, and i go out every half an hour to check on them all, and then check bums at night.

flystrike is also a big concern as egg hatching can occur within 2 - 3hours. this also happened to one of my new boarders (havent met them yet) who are coming next week. they had a neighbour come in and bun had flystrike, nobodys fault, just it happens so quick.

Next time i would consider using a boarding place :)

If you can get your in-laws to check on them twice or three times a day, that would be better. When we go on holiday, I have a friend who comes in twice a day. She is small animal savvy, so would detect any problems. If necessary, she comes in more than twice.

To be honest, if people work full time (which is what I do), then the bunnies are on their own all day long too, and then at night again when I sleep... Surely that's no different! So with checking in on them at least twice a day and spend a little time with them to observe, I personally would be ok, provided that you can trust your in-laws to detect any problems and relay them to you straight away.

Vera

Last edited:
Back