• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too much metacam?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
dont worry i havent given him too much. on giving it today my dad asked "what happens if you give him too much?" trying to be clever and i dont actually know...so..

anyone?

xx

Rabbits clear Metacam very quickly but it would probably depend on exactly how much was 'too much'

I would imagin that in a Rabbit with an already compromised Liver or Kidney function things would have the potential to be more serious :?
GI ulceration/upset might be another consequence maybe :?

what if a bunny was perscribed 1.3ml and you accidently gave say 1.4or 1.5 would it do them harm?

Im always very careful and panic ive given a little too much, eventhough i know i havent

I was interested in the very same problem a few days ago when mine jumped up onto a small shelf where I keep it and knocked it off. When I got back from work the whole bottle had been chewed and the contents emptied (about 15ml in all).

As far as I can tell there are two possible side effects, ulceration but that seems to be more common in cats & dogs & possibly in rabbits which have been prescribed it long term at high doses. The other problems could be liver/kidney if a big dose was taken but fingers crossed so far mine seem ok. My vet said that they would be concerned if the bun had consumed 7ml+ per bunny (which was a possibility but couldn't be confirmed) but there was very little i could do except make sure they were getting lots of water and to keep an eye on them the next 2/4 weeks. As you are only talking 0.5ml or less I wouldn't worry about a one off but it still is important to make sure you get the right dose as that is what has been recomended by the vet.

Last edited:
Back