• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny neutered..how long til he eats?

Paddy_bun

New Kit
Hello,

I had my little boy bun neutered this morning and got him home just over half hour ago. I have been trying to tempt him with some broccoli (his favourite) and his posh hay but he's having none of it. How long should I wait without him eating before I really start to worry/get him back to the vet? They gave me some protein paste stuff but he hates being fed through a syringe and flips out :(

Any help would be really appreciated, he is really precious to me and I am worrying lots :(

He is unlikely to eat much til late this evening.
Offer him water in a bowl rather than a bottle. A Rabbit will often drink before they start to eat after a GA. Drinking from a bowl involves less effort :)

Gratted carrot, Dandelion leaves, finely sliced dark greens or some fresh herbs will often tempt a Bun to eat.
He should have eaten poo'd and wee'd by first thing tomorrow morning. If he is an outdoor Rabbit he needs to be kept in tonight. I am sure he will be much brighter by the morning :)

My own rabbit Rebel was very heavily sedated when she was spayed. It took her two days before she started eating again (and a day before she could stand up without toppling over again!).

I think - if he doesn't start eating after three days - I'd call the vet.

Last edited:
Since I wrote the original post he has nibbled a bit of broccoli and a little bit of hay so am feeling a bit more reassured! He is a house rabbit but we're keeping him in one room for the time being, think i'll probably end up sleeping in here with him...i am such an over-worrier :roll:

Will have a scout around for some dandelion leaves and will get some parsley from the garden.

Thank you for your advice and reassurance, it is really appreciated! :)

Since I wrote the original post he has nibbled a bit of broccoli and a little bit of hay so am feeling a bit more reassured! He is a house rabbit but we're keeping him in one room for the time being, think i'll probably end up sleeping in here with him...i am such an over-worrier :roll:

Will have a scout around for some dandelion leaves and will get some parsley from the garden.

Thank you for your advice and reassurance, it is really appreciated! :)

Good to hear! And if you though you were an over-worrier, you should have seen me when Rebel was spayed. Terrified is not the word... ;)

I was soooo worried when Smudge was "done" too. He is sooooo precious. I fed him his favourite treats as a one off and he nibbled those down smartish - then gave him his usual pellets but fed them by hand and he would only drink from my hand - I poured water into my cupped hands and he lapped it out. :love: Then drank from his bowl. Hope all is well.

I'm glad other people are as in love with their rabbits as I am, most of my work mates think I'm mad, especially when I came in crying this morning after dropping him off and I was jumping whenever the phone rang!

He is having a good liedown at the moment, so am gonna let him chill out before I try hand feeding him again, but his tasty treats are all around him in case he gets peckish :)

I'm glad other people are as in love with their rabbits as I am, most of my work mates think I'm mad, especially when I came in crying this morning after dropping him off and I was jumping whenever the phone rang!

He is having a good liedown at the moment, so am gonna let him chill out before I try hand feeding him again, but his tasty treats are all around him in case he gets peckish :)

Awwwww bless him :love:

My little bun Charlie was neutered yesterday morning and stayed in overnight - they said he didn't eat much so they syringed him and I brought him home this morning and he's eaten a little bit of hay and food and wolfed down some dandelion, so I think it just puts them off for a little bit all being well. I understand your worry - I was worried all day yesterday! Also I keep worrying - it's just the way it is I suppose!!

Last edited:
My little bun Charlie was neutered yesterday morning and stayed in overnight - they said he didn't eat much so they syringed him and I brought him home this morning and he's eaten a little bit of hay and food and wolfed down some dandelion, so I think it just puts them off for a little bit all being well. I understand your worry - I was worried all day yesterday! Also I keep worrying - it's just the way it is I suppose!!

Having said all that, Charlie has now not eaten his dried food overnight so I am trying to tempt him with his favourites! How's yours getting on?

He's doing ok, I brought in loads of parsley last night as he seemed quite tempted by that and he seems to have eaten most of it. Hope your little one starts munching asap!

He's doing ok, I brought in loads of parsley last night as he seemed quite tempted by that and he seems to have eaten most of it. Hope your little one starts munching asap!

Aww that's good - mine hadn't eaten anything all day and then scoffed quite a bit in the last quarter of an hour - so I am keeping everything crossed that this continues!!

Hi, just thought I'd say that I had my little guy castrated a few weeks back and he stopped eating, we syringe fed him for a few days and he one day suddenly decided he was going to eat. Try not to worry, it is prob the stress of the op, he will come round. If your unsure just give your vet a tinkle :)

Back