• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Are You Injecting into my Rabbit ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
It amazes me that there are so many folk who dont ask what medication a Vet is injecting into their Rabbit and why :?
I would not let a Doctor inject me without knowing what I was being injected with and how the drug was supposed to help me. So I certainly wouldn't let it happen to my Bunny !!

I agree. Last time I took my buns to the vet for their VHD I asked what it was and she looked a little confused so I asked if it was Cylap or Lapinject. She was so taken aback that I could even name them that she immediately offered to swap the Cylap she was about to use for Lapinject. No questions asked. I decided to stick with Cylap as they have had it up until now with no ill effects.

I have also corrected vets on how much Bayril they have provided for my rats and they seem genuinely surprised each time that I have some idea of how my animals should be treated. It's actaully a good practice that I use as well.

The problem I have found is most vets assume rabbit owners are not particularly knowledgeable and dont really care what is being injected into their animal.

My vet always talks through options with me before hand and tells me which meds are best but others I have been to simply say I will give "a painkiller" and not which type.

I have to say my vets are quite good at saying what each medication is and what it's for. I tend to get rather shy though so I'm not sure if I would ask or not (just trust them) - I'd prob be the same at the doctors, I'd end up by looking it up on the internet later :roll:

Hannah

my bun's getting her first VHD vac on a week on thursday, and i keep reading about this cylap and lapinject can some one point me in the direction of information on them?

They are two different manufacturers of the same vaccine.

Cylap is known to cause side effects including burns to the area.

There are no know problems with Lapinject.

Most vets use Cylap because Lapinject only comes in larger viles which have to be used within a day and they end up wasting it.

I am very guilty:oops: I got prescribed anti-depressants at the docs the other day, & didn't know til I had googled them at home.:oops: (I was having sleep issues from caffiene withdrawal, which totally did not need tablets - I just looked like :censored::oops::lol:)

That said, I am way better now with the buns thanks to RU. I push for pain killers - I avoid one vet cos she scared the :censored: out of me when a foster had EC - in my opinion she could've like mentioned Panacur etc:roll: - luckily I knew from here. In fact - I only see vets I am comfortable with now - the ones who will answer all my questions & explain it in angelerian so I know what's going on:D

all of the vets at my practice tell me exactly what they are injecting and what it is for, at a highly stressed moment it doesnt always go in (but thats not the vets fault) i also get a full breakdown of drugs on the invoice.

i didnt realise vets just inject without telling the client what its for :?

all of the vets at my practice tell me exactly what they are injecting and what it is for, at a highly stressed moment it doesnt always go in (but thats not the vets fault) i also get a full breakdown of drugs on the invoice.

i didnt realise vets just inject without telling the client what its for :?

Unfortunately some do.

A lot of the time the vet will say what it is but the person will forget because most of the names aren't easy to remember if you don't know what they are already :?

A lot of the time the vet will say what it is but the person will forget because most of the names aren't easy to remember if you don't know what they are already :?

But often when asked 'did your Rabbit have a pain killer' the reply is 'I dont know, the Vet just gave my Rabbit a few injections'

I am not suggesting people should read and digest the Veterinary Drug Formularly but just to be aware of what type of drug is being used-eg Painkiller, gut motility med, antibiotic etc....etc

If a rabbit is injected during a consult in front of me then I am always told what it is, but it is different when they are admitted as you are obviously not there to see what is being given. Half the time when you ring up to check on the bunny you only get a nurse who generally hasn't a clue on treatment.

I think sometimes people are told but if they don't know the names of the meds before hand it probably doesn't sink in as many owners are anxious and upset when there pet is ill. I know when they rang me to tell me Zola had got through her dental I was so relieved that she had survived the GA I didn't ask any questions, just said thank you repeatedly and hung up :oops: It wasn't until i collected her the next day that I asked whether she had an abscess, which she did :(

It's not unusual to have so much information thrown at you in a long consultation that drug names (often long and unfamiliar!) aren't remembered or are generalised as 'pain killer' or 'antibiotic', but these should be itemised on a bill so that if, for whatever reason (out of hours emergency/sudden change of vets/query) you have it there to reference. Never be afraid to be demanding - you aren't being difficult or rude to ask exactly what is being given and why, we usually have good reason to do what we do and aren't offended to explain. Not everyone has a good grasp of their animals medical problems so explanations may be simplified to avoid confusion, if you want more detail then it is perfectly within your rights to ask!

I've definitely known vets to hardly give any information about what they are injecting in the early days when I got my rabbits (emergency vets for stasis etc), but I always checked on the breakdown of the bill what was given, and was therefore able to say on here.

when i went round the 4 vets i have here just to answer a few questions for ALL were surprised i had them neutered and vaxed, wont be going back to the one that insisted that cliping back teeth is perfectly fine for a dental bun and that they never really use burring tools, they didnt seem interested in what i thought was best for my bun

I ask. The vet looked taken aback when I did too, as if it was shocking that a teenager wants to know what all the injections do

I think sometimes people are told but if they don't know the names of the meds before hand it probably doesn't sink in as many owners are anxious and upset when there pet is ill. I know when they rang me to tell me Zola had got through her dental I was so relieved that she had survived the GA I didn't ask any questions, just said thank you repeatedly and hung up :oops: It wasn't until i collected her the next day that I asked whether she had an abscess, which she did :(
I completely agree with this the first time Chloe went in with stasis I was so upset and so glad they were helping I completely forgot to ask anything. I later made a list and called them the next day :oops:

Back